Chapter XII

Jordyn made sure the straps to her armor were securely fastened. She stuck her dagger into her boot and slid her sword into the sheath at her side.

"Why are you doing this?" Chase asked.

"Reasons you wouldn't understand."

"Alrighty then. Just don't die. I need you to lead the way."

"I'll try."

Jordyn and Chase walked to town square. Jordyn saw Gallert in shiny metal armor. She was in leather armor and it wasn't exactly strong but it was light. Jordyn had always been quick on her feet and now she would use that as an advantage.

Jordyn walked to the center of town square. She drew her sword and pointed it at Gallert.

"Quite brave. But did you realize that I also have been training my entire life." Gallert said.

"Oh, I knew but you're old and I'm quick on my feet."

Gallert glared at her. "Let's just get this over with."

Jordyn watched as Gallert drew his sword. She could tell it was heavy with how he was struggling to keep the tip of the sword off of the ground. Jordyn waited. Then suddenly Gallert launched forward. Jordyn saw this move coming. In almost every duel she has participated in, that was commonly the first move. She sidestepped and let Gallert's weight take him crashing forward. Jordyn smacked him with the flat of her blade on his back. She was playing with him. Gallert swung the sword around him and Jordyn had to quickly back away or she would've been sliced open.

Jordyn waited as Gallert backed away. He stabbed her right wrist. A small stream of blood appeared and Jordyn's sword fell to the ground; Gallert picked it up not realizing what the sword itself could do.

The moment Gallert's hand reached under the sword's hilt a dark vision came to his head and he screamed. He was weak and bullied. The way it had been long ago when he was but a child. He had vowed on the day he turned eighteen that he would never let himself be bullied again. Gallert dropped the sword and began muttering wildly to himself. Jordyn picked up her sword again, this time in her left hand.

"Gallert, you have much learning to do. Bullying is not right. We all must learn that at some point. You have learned it the hard way. All of you have," Jordyn said, addressing the crowd, "A great battle is upon us. Many have tried to stop this battle from coming but t'was useless. We are traveling to Luxilios. We will make a stop there to gather more forces for our cause. Who here does not want to see innocents die?"

Silence. No person wanted to go into a fight and possibly not walk away from the battlefield.

"I will go," someone in the crowd said. They stepped forward and a young boy appeared.

"What is your name, boy?" Chase asked.

"Lucian Dikons."

"Very well. Chase, hand me your sword." Chase handed her the sword and Jordyn held it on the boy's shoulders. When Jordyn turned Chase saw a strange thing, but Chase shook his head and watched what Jordyn was doing, "I knight thee Sir Lucian."

The boy rose and he went to the village's armory.

"Anyone else?" Dozens of people stepped forward. Jordyn knighted them all. She knew deep down that it wasn't enough. These innocent people would lose their lives. Gallert got to his feet when all the volunteers were knighted and he left.

"Come on, Jordyn. That hand is going to get infected and then it will be hard for it to heal completely."

Jordyn looked at the village she would soon be leaving.