008

CHAPTER EIGHT: "True North

CHAPTER EIGHT:
"True North."

VIOLET hated funerals

VIOLET hated funerals. There was just something about the idea of a bunch of people gathering together in one place to talk about the death of a loved one that rubbed her the wrong way. But even more so now, since the person who was "dead" was very much alive. Only nobody could find him, because he was trapped in some other dimension that she nor the boys or El knew how to get to. And for some reason, she felt like they weren't the only ones who knew of that information.

She thought about it all night after she left Mike's house, and she came to one simple conclusion. Someone knows what happened to Will, and they must be covering it all up with his death. It all made sense. The body they found in the quarry, and now the funeral? They had clear proof that Will was still alive, and if what he was saying on the radio yesterday was getting through to Mrs. Byers like she thought it was, then she knew too.

His death? A cover up. His body? Definitely a fake. She just didn't know who was keeping it all under wraps. But eventually, she'd find out.

One way or another.

"Fear not, for I am with you. Be not dismaye, for I am your God. I will strengthen you. Yes, I will help you. I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." The priest recited from the bible in his hand., "It's time like these that our faith is challenged. How, if He is truly benevolent... could God take from us someone so young, so innocent? It would be easy to turn away from God... but we must remember that nothing, not even tragedy, can separate us from His love."

As the priest went on, Violet's eyes lingered amongst the people who came to the funeral, assessing their every facial expression. Then, she saw a familiar face from school, it was a brunette girl named Jennifer Hayes. Her eyes widened when she noticed something, then she nudged Dustin who was stood beside her. "Dude, I think Jennifer Hayes is crying."

"No way." Dustin chuckled, nudging Lucas. "Wait till we tell Will that Jennifer Hayes was crying at his funeral."

"Shh." Mrs. Wheeler quiets them, where she stood behind the four.