039

Chapter Thirty Nine: "When hell freezes over

"When hell freezes over."

     VIOLET and Max pedal as fast as they can to get to the hospital, she hadn't realized just how late in the day it actually was until she became aware of the sun setting

VIOLET and Max pedal as fast as they can to get to the hospital, she hadn't realized just how late in the day it actually was until she became aware of the sun setting. The sky was a gorgeous shade of gold, pink, and purple, and the sun was sinking below the horizon as the moon took it's place as the clouds depart. When the duo arrived at the hospital they park their bikes and rush inside, they find their friends waiting for them in the hospital's front lobby.

And apparently they weren't alone, Jonathan and Nancy were here too. She couldn't help but wonder how those two got wrapped up in all of this, but if she knew anything from the past two times this Upside Down madness has happened, everything is somehow always connected.

When Nancy spots the duo she quickly waves them over, Violet and Max share a quick glance before rushing over to the others, letting the oldest Wheeler in the purple dress lead them past the front desk. At said desk is an ebony skinned woman, with a phone held to her ear by the support of her shoulder as she skeptically assessed the group that attempts to pass her.

Key word, attempts.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa!" She exclaimed, raising from her chair and making the party and the older teens halt in their steps. "Excuse me!" She placed the phone down, popping a hand on her hip as she looks at them. "Where do you think you're going?"

"Oh, um..." Nancy trails off as she turns to face her, her skin flushing red as she fumbles to explain why they tried to sneak past. "I was just going to visit my grandma again. And- And this..." Her gaze slips over to the group as she gestures to them, "This is my family."

Grandma? Okay, well looks like she and Max missed a lot.

The curly haired woman shoots Lucas and Violet a disbelieving look.

"Extended." Lucas tries to help, smiling convincingly.

"Very extended." Violet jumps in, "You know... considering."