009

CHAPTER NINE: "Bad Friends

CHAPTER NINE:
"Bad Friends."

VIOLET cried all the way back home from the junkyard

VIOLET cried all the way back home from the junkyard. And when she returned to her empty three story house, she was so exhausted and drained that she was out like a light as soon as her head hit the pillow on her bed. She slept through the night and she woke the next morning to someone running their fingers through her hair, when she opened her eyes she was faced with her mother, Carrie Harrington.

Her mother pulled her into her arms, and she held her close as Violet clung onto her for dear life as the tears ran down her face. Even though she had hardly ever seen her mother, she was grateful that she took her into her home and raised her like she was her flesh and blood. Despite her absence, Violet loved her.

And after all the hurtful things that Lucas said to her the other day, she really needed her.

Carrie suggested that they should have breakfast together, so they could catch up and talk about what she had missed while she was out of town on her business trip with her father Marcus Harrington. Violet found it to be a good idea, since she didn't have anything else to do, and her friends... well, she wasn't even sure that they were her friends anymore.

If they ever were to begin with.

When they got to the diner, Violet hoped her mother hadn't heard about the happenings in town, but since the place was so small, word traveled fast about Will Byers. Apparently, Will wasn't the only person who went missing in town. She was surprised to find on the news on the box TV above the diner counter that Barb, the girl from Steve's little get together that she helped was gone, too.

Not to mention that she didn't even make it home that night. Just like Will hadn't. So, without a doubt, she was in the Upside Down.

She wondered if Nancy Wheeler knew, considering Barb said that she was her best friend. Would it be too much of a stretch to assume that both Joyce Byers and Nancy Wheeler knew something about what was really happening? She doubted if they had, but she had to think.