Chapter 3: Attention Please

I shut my eyes waiting for the impact, and boy did the impact come.

A fully grown adult man slammed into me at full speed, which felt as horrible as you think it might.

"Jesus!" I screamed, my chair flipping back from the impact.

Jake's terrified face was right in front of mine as we toppled over, he landed on top of me, his weight crushing me.

When we landed there was a lot of commotion. Some laughing, some yelling, and the scuttling of feet. Jake hurriedly threw himself off of me, landing on his back next to me. The three other boys appeared above us.

"Well," I paused. "You actually ran into me this time."

"I am so so so sorry. Are you okay? How can I help?" Jake sputtered, righting himself onto his knees above me, joining the other three.

"How about I actually get up? You all look weird from here."

Heeseung and Jay reached their hands out to me. When Heeseung saw Jay's he retracted his hand quickly. Gratefully, I took Jay's hand and he pulled me to my feet.

I then turned to the panicked boy on the floor and gently reached my hand out to him.

He gave me an awkward grin, taking my hand in his. I don't know who was more surprised about the amount of sweat on the other's hand.

Once we were both on our feet he bowed deeply. "Again, I am so sorry."

"No worries," I shrugged, but my heart was still racing. "It happens."

"So you're an American? Why are you in Korea?" Heeseung asked me as they all stepped back.

"I'm actually Italian, but I grew up in Seattle. I'm a music producer. I'm actually supposed to be working on some of your tracks right now, but instead, I've been talking to Jay."

"Oh, nice! Hopefully, we will see you around more then." Jake added, grinning.

"That would be cool, hopefully, next time we meet it is a bit safer and less painful."

They laughed and introduced themselves to me. We talked for a few more minutes, then realized we all really needed to get going.

"Hey Hyung," Ni-ki smirked at Heeseung.

"What?"

"Good job." Ni-ki patted Heeseung on the back and cackled.

"Oh my god, you got him!" Jake burst into hysterics, slapping his leg. A large stamp stood out on Heeseung's back.

Heeseung groaned and began walking away.

We all parted ways and I decided that I'd had a fairly eventful coffee run and that maybe I wouldn't leave my office for a little bit.

The walk back was uneventful, much to my liking. No interruptions, and quiet. I had begun to feel a bit lonely after being around so many people, but I would readjust, it's what I do.

I made it back to my office and settled into my chair, looking at what tracks I had set up in my DAW. I needed to go through all of the tracks and adjust the EQ, and add some automation through them to make things stand out a bit more.

On this track in particular I wanted to have upright bass rather than synth bass, which meant I'd either need to record the whole bassline or record the notes I'd need and program them into a midi controller. Upright bass feels more intimate and sensual, which is what I was aiming for in this song.

I decided I'd do a mixture of recording and programming. So I opened the door to the little recording space in my office, it had instruments here and there, and a separate recording set up connected to the ones in my office so I could transfer data.