Chapter 16: Dazed and Confused

We eventually wandered back to my apartment, which the majority of the group had never seen before. Many of them wandered around, looking at the various pictures around my walls, or attempting to get Lex out from under my bed.

I, myself, had sat down on the sofa. The soft brown fabric felt like a welcomed hug after the day I had been having. As I felt myself sink into the cushions, I felt the anxiety that I had been holding on to fade into the background of my very busy mind.

Thoughts of Heeseung swirled in my mind, despite him being only about five feet away looking at my family photos on the far living room wall. I studied his side profile as he bantered with Beomgyu, the way the corners of his lips curved as he smiled- his eyelashes were long and full He was ethereal, even in his practice clothes

I felt the couch sink next to me, but I didn't expect to see Sunghoon when I looked over, looking awfully sullen. A frown distorted his usually elegant features.

"Hey, are you doing okay?" I inquired worriedly.

He turned and gave me a lackluster half-smile, it didn't come close to reaching his eyes.

"Uh, I guess not. I'm not really sure"

"Oh." I nodded. "Did you want to talk about it, or is it personal?"

He hesitated for a moment, scratching the back of his neck awkwardly. As I looked at him, my eyes wandered past him, to Sunoo sadly looking at him from where he and Junwon had nestled in the corner with Lex. He didn't notice me, but he quickly looked away as Jungwon began talking to him animatedly.

"It's kinda both," Sunghoon answered finally.

"So you want to talk about it?"

"...yes?"

"You don't sound very certain..."

He sighed in frustration, he had been wringing his hands together, the skin around his knuckles was beginning to become a bright red color.

"Look," he whispered in a low voice. "You're close to Sunoo now and I saw the flag in your room, I just need someone to talk to."

"The flag..." I thought to myself for a minute. "Oh."

I had a small pride flag on the wall in my room. I had gotten it at my first Seattle pride with my girlfriend at the time, I had kept it because it was the first time I had come out as Bi publicly. The memory rang around my head, bringing up strong feelings, which I pushed aside.

"Sunghoon... are you questioning?"

His eyes clung to his sweats, not daring to look at me.

Before I could speak again, there was an incredibly obnoxious yet familiar knock on my door. Everyone in the room seemed to pause for a moment, not sure of what to do.

"Let's talk later, yeah?" Sunghoon said as he stepped away, heading over towards Jake and Jay who were messing around with my acoustic guitar at the kitchen table.

"Minho, come in!" I yelled.

The door burst open, and Seungmin stubbled through before landing on the hardwood floor with a heavy thunk. Minho stood in the doorway with a mischievous grin, Changbin and Jeongin stood behind him laughing so hard there was hardly any noise.

"Can you guys even come in normally?" I groaned, getting up from the couch to help Seungmin up. He grabbed my hand, pulling me in front of him, distancing himself from the others.

"They're sick, Elia." He lamented, pretending to cry on my shoulder. "Something is deeply wrong with them."

"You just figured that out? You're slower than I thought!" Minho and the others walked into the apartment, looking around at everyone as they did so.