Chapter 5: Touch and Go

I woke up to my cat, Lex, landing heavily on my stomach.

"Urg, get off of me Lex" I groaned, shoving the small animal off of me and turning over.

He meowed agitatedly, taking a swipe at the hand that shoved him. I withdrew it quickly, but he still managed to knick my pinky.

"That's abusive, why should I put up with you, all you do is whack me and eat."

He pounced on me again, sinking his claws into my skin. I jumped, startled despite it being a frequent happening.

"God, okay I'm up! I'm up!" I screamed, sitting up and throwing my legs over the side of my bed.

As if pleased with his work, he jumped off the bed and sat next to his food bowl. He lifted a black paw delicately, cleaning it as if he hadn't just been a little shit.

I grabbed my phone groggily, rubbing my eyes with the other hand. It was only five in the morning, Lex had woken me up thirty minutes early. Which was fine, I would just use the time to water my plants and fix myself up nicely.

I opened the lock screen to be taken to my contacts, which had been left open from the day before. I forgot I didn't go on my phone again after the guys put their contacts into my phone. Which means I never texted them.

My guts twisted, a nauseated feeling dragging through them. The thought that they must be upset at me for not texting poked into my mind- I tried to shove it away. They probably just thought I was busy, nothing too crazy. I was busy, specifically working on their album, so why would they be mad?

I pulled up my messages and began entering their names into the "to" section. I noticed that they had added random emojis or things in parentheses. Most notably, Jay wrote "Jay (your coolest friend obviously)". I tilted my head in thought, I suppose he did have a natural aura of confidence and calmness that did make him very cool. It would probably be one of the first ways I would describe him, despite it being a bit overused.

'Hey guys, I'm sorry I didn't text last night, I was really busy. This is Elia btw.'

I gulped, a wave of anxiety taking a breath out of me. With one last read-through, I hit send.

I set my phone back down on my nightstand and wandered over to the kitchen. I was planning on grabbing my watering can to water the various plants hanging around my apartment.

Dark mahogany cabinets lined the walls and grey marble counters wrapped the corner of the room, an island of the same marble stood in the middle of the space. A few mahogany stools lined a side of the island, creating a stark contrast with the gray floorboards. Bronze light fixtures hung down from the ceiling, casting a cool light onto the area.

I picked up my little bronze water can from the corner of my counter and filled it up. As I did so, I thought about my day and the goals I hoped to accomplish. I wanted to get started on another song, hopefully, something a bit more upbeat to add layers to the album. It also needed to match the group concept, which was an interesting challenge. I had also been curious about the darker things in life, and a horror fanatic, but adding marketably into music was a thought I hadn't had.

I walked back to my room, watering the many hanging plants around the room. I gazed out the window as I did, looking out into the inky skies. The sun had not yet risen over the swarming city, but life had already begun. Store lights flashed, cars drove through the streets, and pedestrians made their way to and fro in their business attire.

I shook myself out of my thoughts, so as to not over water my plant. It hung lively from its planter, deep green leaves dripping down from the sides.

After finishing up with my plants I began getting ready. I walked into my closet and flipped on the light, examining the various outfit options I had. Most things I wore had an academia aspect to them, I enjoyed that they could be easily dressed up or down depending on the occasion. I decided on a pair of dark brown slacks, a white silk shirt with a corseted waist, and a green blazer. I threw on a belt and my boots to go with it and called it good. It would withstand the frigid air outside, and hide my anxiety sweat. Duel function.