Chapter 18: I Want You

The night had begun to wind down, and our game had come to an end. Everyone sat lazily around the living room, talking to each other about this and that.

As I looked around the room, Sunghoon and I happened to lock eyes, he nodded to me, then gestured to the door. I nodded back and turned to Heeseung who was leaning against my shoulder.

"I'll be back, I need to talk to Sunghoon for a second."

A confused look crossed his face, then melted into understanding.

"I'll be here," He said, removing his head from my shoulder and instead leaning his weight onto his arms behind him.

Using the coffee table I stood up, Sunghoon followed as I did so. He carefully maneuvered his way through the piles of people scattered across the floor conversing until he reached me.

As I watched him walk over, Sunoo and eye caught each other's line of sight. He cocked his head, giving me a questioning look, I shrugged and pursed my lips. Ultimately, I was not even sure what Sunghoon wanted to talk to me about, he never seemed like he wanted to talk before this.

Sunghoon and I quietly made our way into the hall without many people noticing, it seemed like he preferred it that way from the way he anxiously played with his shirt, pulling at the fabric and stretching it out.

"Okay, what's going on?" I asked him, a bit hesitant.

He let out an exasperated sigh and leaned against the wall, "That's the problem, I don't even know really. I don't understand what I'm feeling completely, but it's different."

"Okay," I thought for a moment, "It's about Sunoo, right? Are you maybe questioning your feelings...?"

There was a heavy pause.

Sunghoon's eyes locked on the floor, dark but nothing seemed to be going on behind them, he seemed to be completely zoned out in deep thought.

"I don't think I'm questioning anything," He answered finally, still not looking up, "The problem is I know the answer, I just have no idea what to do with it."

"Hey, that's okay, you don't need to know immediately. What support do you need from me right now to help you?"

For the first time in our conversation, he actually looked me in the eyes, which revealed why he had been looking down.

Tears pooled in his eyes and slipped soundlessly down his face, he looked incredibly confused and overwhelmed.

"I just want to tell him, but I'm scared he won't even care. He won't even talk to me recently, it's like I've done something wrong but he won't even tell me what."

I pursed my lips. It was really difficult because both Sunghoon and Sunoo's sides were both valid in their own right, but there was clearly a significant lack of communication in the relationship, and that needed to be fixed immediately.

"I'm sorry, Sunghoon, that is incredibly frustrating. I can't say if you've done something wrong, you really need to talk to Sunoo to figure that out. You guys are in the same group, so I think regardless of if you tell him about your feelings, you need to work together to find a better way to communicate."

"I know, I'm just not the kind to talk a lot, it feels like Sunoo is so bright I just get lost when he talks. He's good at carrying the conversation for the both of us."

Sunghoon scratched the back of his neck, the tips of his ears were a light pink.

"I'm wondering if Sunoo is taking your lack of words for disinterest," I offered. "Maybe try to start conversations with him more often, turn your internal dialogue external, share your thoughts with him."