▫️Chapter 19▪️

📅

Three days left...

You find yourself searching through the various temp. shops, reading the signs and even going into a few of them. At this point, you had completely forgotten about the black-haired man with an 8-ball for an eye; and maybe that was for the better.

Today, you wear lower calf-length short-heeled boots, they're brown and used and make a nice clicking sound every time you walk. They're your favourite pair of boots, but you never find the time to wear them. You wear basic tights, and [a jean skirt/jean shorts]. They're dark blue and cuffed. And finally, a sleeveless hoodie with a long-sleeved black shirt underneath. It's unique, but hey, why not.

You have your brown messenger bag strapped on your shoulder, a blank look on your face. No one talks to you on the busy streets, and you don't talk to anyone.

Soon, you find a shop. It's small, and what it beholds is a mystery. A knick-knack shop if you will. You don't really need to be there, but oh well.

You walk inside, and it holds a lot. Mini figures, notably old toys, and even powerless jewellery. It's one of those vintage stores, whatever they're called. There's a person at the stand, someone in their early thirties. You ignore them as they ignore you.

You look around the quiet shop, scanning the shelves for nothing in particular. The farther into the shop you go, the more everything feels off in a strangely positive way.

In the back of the shop, it smells much more musty and old. It's like no one has ever touched this part. You feel more comfortable than you thought you could ever feel.

Your eyes scan the shelves, it's just books. None of them is in English, or any language you know at all. They're all engraved with strange symbols in common patterns. One of the books was even written in hieroglyphics.

You pull one off the shelves.

"Hey."

Jumping, you turn to the voice. It's the shopkeeper. Now that you're getting a good look at them, they're notably much taller than you. They have piercing green eyes that stare down at you blankly. They're very pale and have quite thin lips. They have a notably flat nose and monolid eyes. They have long, black hair and very pointed elf ears. Not to mention the scar going across their nose bridge.

As she stares down at you, you do nothing in return.

She continues;

"You hold power, magic even."

You want to quirk your eyebrow in confusion.

"I can tell you're confused."

They pause again.

"Call me the Shop Keeper. Do not ask for my name"

They pause again. Do they pause this often?

"That bracelet. It was your mother's. Am I correct?"

You can't answer. You don't have time to answer.

"Of course I am. I'm always correct."

They point at the book you're holding.

"That's a spell book. An illegal copy."

Their eyes shift to you.

"It holds both light and dark magic."

They quickly snatch the book from you, flipping through the pages as if they could read it.

Can they..?

"It's in Endermen. Thankfully, the language is still learnable and used to this day."

You just now realize how strangely wispy their voice is.