CHAPTER: XIII

No-one's POV

"Finally. You are here. I thought you won't arrive until tomorrow." Lina teased Hao Tao who just stepped out of his car. "I am never late. And you know that very well." Hao Tao responded instantly as he took steps towards the pathway leading to the entrance of the lavish restaurant. Lina stopped him. "Wait. What are you even wearing?" She questioned as her rouged face shrunk. "Why? What am I wearing?" Hao Tao repeated the questioned while maintaining a blank visage. "Do you lack clothes? Definitely no. You have enough of suits to wear for a year – without even needing to repeat any of them - in your wardrobe and yet you wear this? You weren't even bothered to change. You are in the same outfit I last saw you this afternoon with." Lina grumbled as her eyes kept scanning Hao Tao from top to bottom repeatedly. "You were the one who told me that I looked good in anything." Hao Tao snapped as he continued to proceed towards the glass door. Suddenly, Lina jumped to lock hands with her boss, who was also her best friend since middle school. "What do you think you are doing?" Hao Tao instantly hissed as he tried to break free from Lina's grip. Lina tightened her handgrip. "We agreed on this remember. You are pretending to be my boyfriend right now... So, be a bit more realistic. For heaven's sake Hao Tao." She whispered into his ears while she looked forward with her head held high. "Oh. There he is. I never thought he would be this early." Lina panicked as soon as she spots a well-dressed man who sat alone in one of the tables located near the large clear glass windows. "Hmmm...." Hao Tao sighed in his dead voice as they strolled towards him.

. . .

It has been a while since Lina introduced Hao Tao to Ken, who was her blind date arranged by her mother. "Doesn't your mother know about your relationship?" That man enquired as he pointed towards the couple sitting across him. "About that..." Lina dragged as she tilted her head towards Hao Tao who was sincerely concentrating on his meal with his head pointed towards the ceramic plate. "Ms. Lina, your partner seems to be pretty... quiet and uninterested throughout this whole conversation. So... maybe I think he is not that serious about your relationship as you are." He complained lightly, dragging it as long as possible. "Oh. That's because he is always like that. Silent. You know. But that's what I admire in him. The fact that he is so composed and romantic at the same time." Lina stuttered while finishing her sentence with a chuckle. Soon, that man excused himself to use the restroom. He left the table. Lina immediately turned towards Hao Tao. "You are always like this. What if we get caught? You are not at all convincing that you are my lover. If that's the case, how on earth is he going to back off?" Lina scolded as she tried to get Hao Tao's attention. Hao Tao didn't respond. A few seconds later, Hao Tao willingly turned towards Lina who sat with her arms crossed around her chest with a frown pasted on her upside down ovoid shaped face. "Maybe you should just marry him." He delivered a statement as his face carried a blank expression.

"Are you kidding me? I can't marry some random guy who was just introduced by my desperate mother."

"But why don't you marry him? He seems pretty decent to me."

"No way! I want to marry for love. And I already told her clearly about this."

"I don't think you have made yourself clear enough or why would she even do this, like arranging blind dates."

"My age. Duh. She keeps nagging on and on about me growing old each second. Every time she calls, this is all she talks about. I even told her; I have someone in mind. Yet she insists."

There was a minute of silence as Hao Tao had the last spoonful of his costly dinner. He placed the silverware he was holding, gently on the table. The waitress cleared the table as he took a sip from his glass of wine while his shoulders relaxed themselves.

'You might as well confess your feelings to him." He stated as his eyes were fixed on Ken who speed walked towards them as he motioned the nearby waitress to bring the check.

"I think I will have to take my leave...So, here's my..." Ken announced as he reached to his wallet.

But before he could complete his sentence, Hao Tao interrupted him. "Tonight's on me." He stated as he placed his Amex Black Card on the table and sat back while Ken stood there, speechless.

"Alright then, I guess we should leave as well." Lina broke in as she stood up. Suddenly, Hao Tao's phone began to quiver in his coat pocket. "Pardon me. I must take this call." He revealed as he looked down at his phone screen. "You may leave, Lina." He continued, before walking in the opposite direction of the exit. Lina stood there in shock for a moment. Her already pale face turned paler with her eyes fixated on Hao Tao who was eventually blurring away. Then, she helplessly started to walk forward as Ken led the way. 

To Be Continued...