CHAPTER: XV

Cara's POV

Where's Merk? Usually, every morning the whole family gathers at the breakfast table. Even if you don't eat, you should mark your attendance there. It's one of the foremost rules of the Wilson family. But...today was unlike other days. Did I wake up late? I quickly looked at my phone screen. It's almost half past eight. So, I'm not late. And yet, I can't seem to spot my dearest brother in this room.

"Where's Merk?" I questioned, seizing everyone's attention.

"Where's Merk?" My father repeated the question, but in a less surprised tone.

If you ask me, he must be in his room or has already left to work.

"Um...He must be in his room..." I began but shortly cut off by Chad.

"Checked" He stated, his eyes filled with concern.

"Or...maybe he went to the hospital..." I continued but this time I was cut short by Aunt Niaomi.

"I woke up at four in the morning today and I haven't seen him leave the house." She announced.

"So..."

"So. He either left before four in the morning or didn't come home last night." Her highness concluded. I was able to feel the fire of fury burning within her. It was unbearable. "To add on to this, he wasn't there in his room when I went to talk to him last night." She continued after a breath.

WHAT! Merk wasn't there in his room last night? That means, mom didn't speak to him. That sort of means...he left home? I am beginning to panic. Oh god! What do I do? I can't help but think of the worst possibility. No wonder everyone calls me a pessimist. Anyway. Enough about me. My hands were trembling when I tried to call him. But no answer.

With me panicking, the rest of the family began to worry as well, even though some didn't show it – example, her highness, dad, and Noah. This was maybe because everyone thought that I knew about his disappearance but since I am in the dark as well, Merk's whereabouts have truly become a mystery. Now I get why being absent at the breakfast table was forbidden. Nevertheless, why isn't he answering the phone? My feet began to lose control. Aaron and Noah stood up from their seat. "We're going to search for him." Aaron announced, reaching towards his car key. Everyone almost agreed upon this idea when the sound of worn-out footsteps reached our ears.

It was Merk. Surprisingly, he looked Exhausted. Very Exhausted. His walk looked like he was dragging his own body forcefully. His always nicely tucked shirt was UNTUCKED and his coat was in his hand. He looked awful. I almost jumped into a conclusion that he was chased by dogs the whole night. But that wasn't the case. Eventhough, his body looked drained, his face was filled with some sort of unknown rage. He didn't say a word when our whole family interrogated him and just walked upstairs. Why was he upset? Where was he last night? I don't have answers for those questions now.

I delivered a deep sigh. Then I grabbed one sandwich and shoved it in my mouth as I paced outside. Habitually, I'm not a breakfast person but today everything was out of norm. Hopefully, I guess this slice of bread can keep me distracted till I reach my classroom.

. . .

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that himbo seated right next to my goddamn seat! (I gave up on the idea of recapturing my front row seat.) Ugh! Could this last semester get any worse? God hates me for sure. Now, back to reality. I can never – never ever never- sit next to that guy. However, I had no choice but to take my seat there: practically all seats were taken. Oh no. He saw me. Yes. He definitely saw me. Eventhough, he was swarmed by girls. If it was me, I would've died due to suffocation. Ok Cara. Calm down. Let's not give him the pleasure of seeing you panicking early in the morning. Wait. What should I do? Should I thank him? After all, he did do some good. Fine. I will. My feet led me forward as my mouth hunted for the right words.

"Um.... Mingyun." My noiseless call-out caught his attention immediately.

His sight redirected themselves, giving me full attention.

He keeps staring at me, now I'm feeling uncomfortable.

"Thanks" I voiced, collapsing on the seat next to him. I didn't dare to look at his face. I kept my head pointed towards the ground, praying every god that he wouldn't open his mouth.

The awkwardness was a drape between us till the end of the lecture.

Lastly, I was about to run away from him when he called out, "Hey! Hey, you brainless girl!" His voice did not only grab my attention but everyone else who was present in the hallway as well. I froze. He shouted again. "ZI RAO!" Why is he still screaming. His head unquestionably has no brain inside. I took a few quick breaths. I turned around. I scuttled across the short distance between us with my head dropped down in embarrassment. I looked up, he was waving his hand in the air. His heavy bracelets made thunderous clatter every time they clashed with each other.

. . .

The thing is, even though it was 'hate at first sight' and I became his nemesis on our first encounter itself, I'm not really a powerful opponent. Well... What I mean is... The Wilson family has a name that speaks for itself, because: Merk, Noah, Aaron, and Neil, all studied here, but I am not as popular as them. Merk was known for his academic achievements, Noah was popular among girls for his mysterious demeanor. Aaron was the sports superstar, while Neil was the campus cutie. But look at me. I am just known as Cara Wilson, sister of so and so and the best friend of so and so. Coming to think of it I don't really have an identity, I was more like a blur.

. . .

"What do you want now?" I questioned, looking up at his beardless, clear-skin face.

He responded to me with a smirk.

The conversation was wordless for a few minutes.

He cleared his throat, at last releasing a word. "You were supposed to pay me thirty dollars for my coffee, which you dropped that day but..."

"Wait a minute. I need to compensate? Pfft. It's YOU who needs to compensate!" I declared, poking the center of his muscular chest with my index finger.

"What do you mean? You were the one who bumped into me!"

"Nah uh. I was injured. So...You should be the one to pay! But. I'm not a cheapskate like you, so let's drop it here. I'll forgive you."

"Forgive me?" He leaned down. "You are lucky that I spared your life. If another word comes out from your mouth, don't blame me for the consequences!"

"Oh. Do you think I'm afraid? As if. You are nothing but a showoff. All you know is to run behind girls, wagging your tail. Oh sorry. You are just doing what you are supposed to do, like what a dog does. I mean. I apologize for expecting a dog to behave like a human."

"Zi Rao! You better shut that mouth of yours or..."

"Or what?"

He pushed me against the wall with my back fully planted against it. His arms stretched, blocking my escape routes. He leaned down, further. I was able to feel his steamy breath.

"If you speak another word... I can't guarantee what's going to happen next..." He whispered in a husky tone.

Uh oh. I can literally feel my face heating up. I need to escape before I'm exposed. "Fine." I admitted my defeat. I pushed him away and began to run.

Why am I like this? I patted my cheeks while on the run. No man has ever dared to do this to me. He has the guts to push me against a wall and threaten me? Wait a minute. What did he call me? Zi hao...no, Shi rao...no, ZI RAO! I quickly googled it. Nuisance? Did he just call me nuisance? Who is the nuisance here? ZHOU MING YUN!!!!!!!

To Be Continued...