not everything is what it seems

Oneshot synopsis: April, a feared villain,

ends up finding a strange friendship with Donatello.

Note: the mask/drawing above was done by the same artist as the previous chapter, I had commissioned it with her almost two months ago for a school project/another fic.

insta of the artist: Coffee.web_sketch

_______________________________________________________

It was almost six in the afternoon, Donnie seemed to count the hours to leave that day, he tried to sneak out but Leo caught him in the act.

"Where do you think you're going?" Leo asked with a smug smile on his face.

"It doesn't interest you." Donnie said to his brother, how could he be so annoying.

"Are you going to meet your girlfriend?" Leon asked laughing at his brother's red face.

"How much do you want not to tell anyone?" Donnie asked without patience, surely he would be late.

"You're going to do what I say for a month and...you're going to do my chores for a month and a half." Leo said without much idea what to order.

"I give you my slices of pizza and do your weekly chores." Donatello said impatiently.

"Done deal." Said Leo "But you'll also have to cover for me the next time I sneak out."

Donnie didn't care if he had to run some errands or give away a few slices of pizza, he was late. Running in the shadows so that no one under any circumstances could be seen, according to him people weren't ready to see either him or his brothers yet. His destination was the tallest building in the city, an empty terrace that overlooked all of New York City. A beautiful view, the sound not so much, but it was low due to its height, and best of all: No one could see it.

"You are late." Said a voice from the shadows, a female silhouette wearing half yokai, half oni mask came out of there.

"Sorry April, I didn't mean to be late but you know my brothers." Said Donnie sitting down.

"Hahah! Let me guess, Leo didn't let you leave in peace did he?" She asked sitting down next to the Soft-Shell.

Donnie sighed, how did he get there? He remembered how he had met April O'Neil, it would be hard to forget her. A girl of average height, dark skin, beautiful hair tied back and always wearing yellow, why would it be hard to forget her? Because when the four turtles met her the brunette almost killed them, April worked for Big Mama, a spider yokai crime boss, and April was attached to her. So when they broke into one of the yokai's many properties to get something their father wanted, it was a surprise to see a human, and an even bigger one that she managed to beat Raph without difficulty.

Donatello, due to his curious nature, became interested in April and thus a friendship was formed, neither of them spoke about what happened, sometimes Donnie commented about his brothers, but never about where he was going and his missions/patrols, April talked about Big mama like her own mother, but never like working for the yokai.

April stretched, which caused Donnie to lose his train of thought.

"Long day?" asked Donnie adjusting his battle shell.

"No, just a boring guy... he keeps following me around while I work." April explained.

Donnie looked at her curiously, it wasn't normal to see April upset.

"What happened?" He asked schooling himself in his hands.

"A guy I dated once was following, he said we 'should happen'." She threw herself back with her hands thrown to her sides in a t-shape.