Chapter 3

It took a while for it to set in that the famous blue speedster was back and alive, Sonic ignored the looks from the rest of the freedom fighters who all had questions yet no answers came. The speedster had a few things on his mind and one was his famous partner who was still missing. It had been a week since he had returned and within that week he had learned a lot of things especially about his children, Shade was a little funny around him but then again she always had a deep connection with Shadow. She would choose her mother over her father anyday and that may be because of a time when she was little and Sonic made a huge mistake. 

Past Memory…

It was Shade’s 10th birthday and she had woken up to find her mother in tears in his room, she rushed in wondering what was wrong? Although not many spoke the truth, Shadow made sure to never lie to his kids, so he always told the truth. 

“Mama, what’s wrong?” Shadow looked up in shock at his eldest daughter's voice, wiping his eyes. Then he picked her up into his arms. 

“I…your father and I have just had a fight. But, don’t worry about it” Shadow smiled down at her reaching across to the desk where her present sat. “Happy Birthday Shade”. His beautiful daughter gave him a peck on the cheek. 

“Is, baby okay?” Shade whispered, Shadow rolled his eyes. His daughter somehow could feel the small hoglet in Shadow’s aura even before it had developed. Shadow could only nod as he watched her open her presents. It was early stages and the unborn hoglet was the sole subject of why he and Sonic had argued in the first place. 

Trudging footsteps from the doorway revealed Silver his more quiet child. 

“Morning, happy birthday Shady,” Silver muttered, climbing onto the bed to snuggle close to Shadow’s side. “Morning Silvy”. Her reply was cut off by a squeal from Silver as Sonic made an appearance in the room with a smiling Knuckles, the guardian picking up his nephew to help wake him up. 

Shadow smirked accepting the hug from the smiling bat, his best-friend was staring back at him in concern, he sent a look to say ‘later’. Rouge only nodded, passing out Shade’s presents with her famous smile. Shade sent her own quirky smile back as she snuggled into Shadow’s side while opening her presents. She gasped at the necklace charm it was inscribed by the guardian himself. Knuckles claimed it was part of the master emerald while Rouge just shook her head, Shade launched herself at the two and thanked them. Even though she was her mother’s daughter it didn't mean she could get away with what Shadow did which was not use manners or say ‘thanks’. It had been drilled into her from birth but she was also a kind mobian anyway. 

A small kick to Shadow’s side had the ultimate lifeform shifting slightly which led to Shade and Silver moving back to his sides, although it happened many times. Shadow smiled down at them. The two were growing up quickly and wise, a sigh left his mouth. Due to Shadow’s dna the two would age quicker than the average mobian. Thankfully when they hit the age 16, they would age normally, it was one of the losses of Shadow’s dna. Another thing that got brought up in arguments. 

“How are you feeling, hun?” Rouge asked her partner in crime as the kids directed them all downstairs where Tails and Cream sat waiting on them as did a few others. Sonic had a big house and the fox lived with them. 

Shadow turned to look at her, “Still sore. I…” Shadow cut himself off as he stumbled against the side of the wall, hands shot up to steady him. Pain spread through his lower half but it was normal according to the ultimate lifeform himself. It would seem the hoglet would be a runner at this rate.