Chapter 25

Elsewhere…

Three mobians landed with a grunt into the freezing crystal caves. Violet shivered leading to Shadow to create a chaos flame lighting the way through the dark tunnels. The ultimate lifeform also spawned in a jacket belonging to Shade which Violet took with a smile. Mighty on the other hand remained silent moving closer to his daughter to keep her safe. 

"Shadow, why do you have Griffin?" Violet pointed out noticing the small armadillo in the ultimate lifeform's arms. 

With a sigh, Shadow passed the armadillo over to Violet who took him. "Espio won't wake without all three of you. It's something to do with his powers. I didn't tell the others because I didn't want to worry them but Espio is dying" Shadow muttered, quickening his pace. Mighty and Violet shared a look keeping up with the ebony hedgehog only to gasp when they all entered the cave which held the crystallised coffin in it. 

Once given the all clear from Shadow, Mighty moved on the double over to the coffin and gasped seeing his lifeless partner within it. 

"Espio?" Mighty's whisper echoed across the crystals. Shadow could only frown, taking Griffin off Violet who had rushed over to the coffin holding her mother. The one who sacrificed everything for them all only to suffer in the consequences.

"Shadow, what do we do?" Mighty turned to the Ultimate Lifeform like he had a clue on what to do. 

"I don't know. I can't do anything. I'm the darkness" Shadow winced as Griffin pulled on the fur on his chest. Mighty and Violet shared a look as they felt a connection like no other. The crystals around Espio were turning purple, red and orange. 

"Dad, grab Griffin! Shadow you need to leave the cave unless you want to feel pain" Violet commanded. Shadow could only nod passing Griffin over and disappearing in a small green stream showing them all, he was still nearby. 

"What now?" Mighty asked, having full trust in his oldest child. Violet could only smile, "Griffin needs to be placed on the glass coffin. He is pure light which means we need to focus our thoughts into nearby crystals, our own powers will activate and in theory Griffin should wake Espio, destroying this curse" Violet explained, placing down a small orange crystal in Griffin's fist, Mighty nodded knowing it was some Shinobi Clan secret. Griffin held it still looking at it in wonder from his place on his stomach. 

"Dad, do you trust me?" 

"Always, V" 

"Good, close your eyes and if you hear screams of pain. Ignore them, trust me. We are all safe" Violet spoke in a soothing tone while Griffin babbled to himself just as the room glowed red, purple, orange and yellow. 

Mighty complied, connecting eyes with both his children. Griffin just clapped his small paws where his claws would be in the future. 

All around them crystals chimed with pure energy, Griffin glowed an orange glow, him clapping away without a care in the world. Mighty ignored his son, focusing on his memories with his partner, Espio.

Memory one…

"Hey, thanks for the save" 

The purple chameleon ignored him walking off towards Knuckles. 

"What's with him?" Mighty asked, turning to Vector who could only sigh, "Espio, doesn't really talk much. None of us have been able to get him to utter more than two words bar Charmy. For years, he has been silent. Don't take it personally" Vector explained looking at the purple chameleon who walked over to the small carrier picking up the small bee who giggled in his arms.