Chapter 22

(Warning: Mild Swearing in bold - Shadow Black Arms Language)

The mobians never moved from the lounge while the two sick hedgehogs recovered. Just as sunrise happened the rest of the chaotix appeared, Mighty was blank holding a crying Griffin to his chest. 

A new enemy had come with the intention of finishing what Infinite started but failed to do so. An intention to cause pain and suffering to his counterpart who destroyed his life. The freedom fighters were worried especially with Knuckles mentioning something about the chaos energy being off balance.

“For fuck’s sake, if I ever see Black Doom again. I will torture him in several ways, starting with…” 

“What’s he saying?” Sonia asked her brother who could only shrug, the two watching Shadow pacing back and forward, the ebony hedgehog was irritated since his body was depleted and refused to create any chaos energy. Griffin was enjoying watching his uncle pace back and forward giggling at the funny hedgehog. Shadow remained in his own world. Kaiser and Daisy sat in front of Griffin, the two one year olds were playing with Griffin who lay on his front in a blanket under the careful eyes of them all. With Griffin being Espio’s child, the chameleon was cold blooded who required an external source of heat to raise his metabolic levels. But it seemed the small armadillo didn’t need that and Mighty was thankful he had one less thing to worry about. 

“Shadow, please stop your cursing” Vanilla spoke up, coming to stand in front of the ultimate lifeform who could only hang his head, the elder rabbit was quick to place a hand on his shoulder and direct him over to the others. Shadow sat down on the sofa pulling Sonic into his arms, the speedster didn’t say anything enjoying the warmth but did frown he preferred to be holding Shadow, the ebony hedgehog didn’t say anything when Sonic forcefully changed positions much to the amusement of the others. Dash sat on Shadow’s rocket boots to remain close while Silver sat on the floor just behind his kids. Everyone else was around the room huddled by the fire. 

“Vector, do you think Espio will be okay?” Charmy asked, coming to stand by the side of the crocodile who basically raised him with the chameleon, he loved so much. 

“I hope so” Vector mumbled, wrapping an arm around Vanilla who hugged him close. 

“DAMMIT!” 

Shadow’s shout caught them all off guard, the hedgehog jumped off the sofa only to gasp, his hands were flickering. His powers coming back unexpectedly, someone was reaching out to him but who. 

“Sonic!” Shadow gasped out as his knees gave out and his eyes glowed black. Sonic was quick to wrap him up, “Focus on me Shads. Shh, I’ve got you! Mom! I need the chaos emerald!” Sonic yelled, Alena was quick to go and retrieve the green one in the gardens. Shadow struggled to remain a solid form, it was almost like someone was dragging him from space and time, trying to erase him. 

“Shadster, hold on. This may hurt” Sonic whispered, the ultimate lifeform could only nod. “Tails, I need you and Knuckles to go and get the cryo-chamber ready. Shadow needs time to heal and his body won’t let him” Sonic ordered, the two were quick to disappear through a portal created via Silver who held Dash close as their mother basically flickered from existence. 

Sonic focussed his energy from the chaos emerald into Shadow, the ultimate lifeform’s chaos levels dangerously low. Knuckles suddenly reappeared with the chamber, Omega and a distraught Tails. 

“Sonic, our home is gone. We managed to salvage this and Omega but the rest is gone…” Tails cried out as Knuckles was instructed to put the cryo-chamber in a room that Alena suggested. It was a room in the basement, that was an old laboratory. Sally had been turning it into a communication room, a command centre.