Chapter 20

Elsewhere…

Sonic was in shock, one minute his partner was in front of him the next he wasn't. 

"Where is he!?" Sonic screamed in frustration, Knuckles was as much worried for Shadow as he was Espio and could only call in reinforcements which led to almost everyone coming up to the unstable rock in the sky. Rouge landed beside Knuckles to hug him, the echidna smiled. The chaotix had surrounded Mighty in wonder. 

"Dad, where's mama?" Dash asked, appearing beside Sonic who could only groan as Shade, Silver and Blaze joined him. "I wish I knew, '' Sonic grunted out as Knuckles explained what had happened. 

Movement in front of them alerted them all to the altar that was rebuilding itself back together and a white chameleon appeared back at the top. The shield remained up as the crystals started shining, the master emerald was rebuilding itself back together. 

"Oh my god, what's happening?" Rouge asked, moving to Knuckle's side, the guardian watched with wild eyes. As something rose out of the sea in the distance, all of them were in shock as their forgotten kingdom appeared. Queen Alena couldn't believe it as her home came back to life. The chaos emeralds started to glow as they listened to the chameleon at the top of the altar. Who turned around gesturing for Knuckles to join them.

The guardian wasted no time and walked up the steps only to reach the top and smile. There in the arms of the Bride of Constant Vigil was Espio, while the white chameleon used the ninja’s power to refix the world. Silas was standing by the white chameleon's side. Espio squirmed in his mother's arms who only soothed him.

"Guardian, meet my eyes" 

Knuckles looked up to meet the bride's eyes, he dropped all of his barriers and became himself.

"You have done well in protecting my son and in a gift, I have returned a few who were lost in a realm before the crystals shattered" The bride spoke out-loud in riddles and yet Knuckles understood every word. 

"Shadow and Espio have agreed on something and as much as I have tried to talk them out of it. They have made their decision", she said, stroking her son's head. Espio remained silent.

"Do I even ask what it is?" Knuckles asked, kneeling down to her level as she gestured for him to come closer. 

"Shadow and Espio are bringing back someone lost to someone close to them, on top of them healing the chaos emeralds and they have appointed someone within your group as the chaos emeralds personal guardian" Silas explained with a signal to say it was time. It took Knuckles a minute to realise the Master Emerald was refixed and the seven chaos emeralds were on their podiums including the green one that flickered into existence. 

"Does that mean?" 

"Knuckles, you are still the guardian of the Master Emerald while another who has a pure heart is reaching for a dream that can only be made possible by Espio and Shadow. The two have a very unique bond, it's almost like they are brothers without the blood" The bride spoke just as the shield shimmered around them only to shatter. 

"Now, I don't mean to push, guardian but I am only here for a limited time. Please collect the one with pure heart, the white hedgehog" the bride spoke, Espio shifted in discomfort making Knuckles move on the double.

All eyes watched as Knuckles walked down a few stairs until his eyes connected with Silvers and the hedgehog found himself moving. Sonic watched with wide eyes as his middle child was directed up the altar with the echidna. Two hands connected with his own, he noticed it was Shade and Blaze while Dash sat on his feet beside a yawning Rose who lay her head on her brother's shoulder. Amy smiled from beside a smirking Sally Acorn who had not only shocked Sonic by appearing but by kissing Amy's lips.