Chapter 28 - The End

"He's what!" Mother bear had come out of Rouge who stalked over to the cobalt speedster with Amy, Sally and Sonia as back up. The four visibly scared the blue hedgehog who looked around for help when he found most of the males turning their eyes away to avoid getting into trouble themselves. Manic found himself occupying the kids beside his father, Kaze didn't know whether to be annoyed at or worried for his son while he dealt with a female's wrath, especially Rouge the bats.

"Traitors!" Sonic cried out as he was visibly scolded by not only the females but his parents.

"Dad! What happens if he doesn't make it? Dash almost killed him! Technically he did!" Silver cried out, Blaze wrapped an arm around him. The last thing any of them wanted to witness was Shadow's demise.

Silence passed by with the exception of the kids running wild chasing Dash who looked oddly worried but was keeping all the kids occupied.

"He's fine! Shadow said he would be okay and that Espio had spoken to him. The two are prepared if worse comes to serve. He's just furious for another reason and I think it's to do with dad" Sonic said with a smile, Kaze only glared at his son for the lie.

"You haven't asked him, have you?" Knuckles said from his place beside an angry bat. Sonic could only shake his head looking at the sky.

"No, I haven't but you all know how stubborn he is. He won't go through with getting rid of the unborn. I think he is more worried about..."

"Us"

Sonic looked up to see Silver pointing at himself, Shade and Dash.

"Yeah, Shadow is very overprotective over you three and the last thing he wants to do...hey! Where did Espio go?" Sonic switched attention only for them all to realise the ninja had vanished from sight.

"Sonic, don't change subject" Manic warned, coming to stand beside his brother. Sonic could only frown.

"He is more worried about leaving you three behind and missing out on any more of your lives" Sonic said looking off to the left where the sun was setting in the distance. Silence filled the area for some time until Vector asked the question they had all been wondering.

"So, Mighty! Tell me, have any of these munchkins been named after a famous crocodile we all love and..."

"No"

Vector looked up at the short reply, Mighty lifted the tiny chameleon into his arms to keep her warm while the two smaller armadillos held tightly to his legs.

"Meet Dario, Silas and Esme. They are the troublesome triplets" Mighty said with a smile passing over Esme to Violet who pulled her closer to her chest. The tiny chameleon clung to her chest top.

"Dario? Where did that come from?" Rouge asked.

"It's my father's name. Espio wanted to honour my parents using both Dario and Esme to show his respect for the Armida clan. While Silas is named after Espio's Uncle" Mighty explained, lifting Silas onto his shoulder while Dario found Shades' quills fascinating as he sat in her arms. Occasionally pulling on them only to receive a growl in warning. It surprised the little armadillo who only smiled babbling away.

"It's lovely to meet them" Amy spoke, coming to stand beside Mighty who could only nod keeping watch over his kids especially Esme.

"From your look, I'm gathering you almost lost her?" Sally said with empathy.

Mighty could only nod, "Yea, Espio knew he was pregnant but he didn't realise he was carrying triplets. He was at very high risk due to chameleons only being able to carry one. Normal chameleons lay eggs, Espio obviously doesn't but the more he is carrying the longer the pregnancy. He carried them for eleven months and it was concerning the clan until he collapsed on us all. We were in the middle of a war treaty when he dropped down unconscious. If it hadn't been for Violet's interference there is a chance we would be at war as our chief tried to claim the attack. Violet stopped it claiming the prince was pregnant. It stopped all action and we had allies like no other. It was crazy. Espio didn't have many in the delivering room bar me, Violet, Arlo and a priestess that he had known for years. The female chameleon had left the Shinobi clan with us. He gave birth to both the boys and we thought it was over until he screamed out in agony..." Mighty grimaced remembering Espio's face, his partner was in agony and Mighty couldn't help much. A hand on his shoulder brought him to his said partner who he had been overprotective over.