Chapter 12

A week had passed and tensions in Emerald Hills had risen very high. Silver was the main target of the enemy so the poor hedgehog was accompanied at all times. All the siblings were even Violet just to be sure of it. They still hadn't heard from Shadow and Sonic, which was making them quite worried. 

Knuckles had vanished two days ago leaving what was left of the chaotix to watch the master emerald with Rouge and Omega joining them. Knuckles entrusted them all to the serious job while he was away. No one had a clue where the guardian had vanished to, all but one little hedgehog who had managed to follow him. Dash was intrigued as he followed the echidna through the many caves, secret passageways and portals until he came across a cave deep in the mountains which was guarded by what looked like chameleons. 

Dash was so intrigued that he totally forgot about stealth leading him to be captured. He remained silent as he was blindfolded and led to what he thought was the leaders place. 

"I'm sorry to disturb you my prince but the guardian seemed to have been followed by a Hedgehog"

"Remove the cloth" wait a minute that sounded like…

"Espio!" Dash whispered seeing Espio and Knuckles frowning down at him.

"Leave us, I will deal with it"

"But my prince, he…"

"Leave us!" 

With that the chameleons left leaving only Espio, Knuckles and Dash alone. 

"Dash! What were you thinking?!" Knuckles scolded him as Dash could only scratch his head and tap his foot like his father would. The echidna couldn't help but smile at him. Espio on the other hand looked annoyed and stressed. 

"Well, I wanted to know where you were going and…argh!" Dash yelped, holding his head tightly concerning the two. 

"Dash! What is it?" 

"Mother! It's mother! He's….Silvers in trouble, Shade needs us!" Dash pleaded looking up at Espio who was his uncle, the ninja only sighed. 

"Dash, I will help but promise me something. Never show anyone how to get here and don't turn up unannounced, you could have been killed. Do not tell anyone about this place" 

The blue and red youngster could only nod as he pressed into Knuckle's chest, the echidna rubbing his quills as the pain subsided.

"Espio, I thought you couldn't leave" Knuckles said, "I can for now but I must return every couple of days" Espio said with a smile as he gestured for a silver chameleon to come over. 

"Silas, I may need your expertise"

Knuckles and Dash's eyes widened at the chameleon in front of them, Silas nodded at them.

"What do you need my nephew?" Silas asked, Espio only smiled. "I need a passage from here to Angel Island and you to cover me for today and tomorrow".

"It will be done but remember you must be back in six days time, your ceremony will take place and I do not want to be in charge in your honour" Silas explained while opening a portal, "Understood, uncle. Thank you, I will be back in a couple of days. No one will be taking my mother's throne from me" Espio said in a colder tone that made Knuckles double-take at the amount of coldness in his tone. Silas could only nod, "Be safe" as the three jumped through the portal disappearing from sight.

"You can make an appearance now. You do know your brother needs you now more than ever" Silas said to the navy chameleon who had appeared behind them, "You may think your a ghost to him but he knows you will make the right decision when the time comes" With that said Silas disappeared leaving Arlo alone to his thoughts.