Chapter 27

For the first time in a long time, the kingdom of Emerald Hills was thriving in peace. No one had to look over their backs, even Dr Eggman had vanished. Team Dark knew where he was and when asked about him, they ignored them all. 

Even Kaze ordered his son-in-law to tell him and Shadow only gave him a look to say 'try better'. Kaze was stunned at his eldest son's mate, it would seem Kaze and Shadow would have a unique relationship. As much as Sonic shook his head, he enjoyed watching his father being stumped by Shadows comments or facial expressions.

"Shadow, a word please" Queen Alena spoke up from where the hedgehog family were lounging around the room. Manic and Sonia instantly shared a look and then grinned at Sonic who could only roll his eyes allowing Shadow to leave his lap. The ultimate lifeform ignored their faces and made his way over to Alena, passing Kaze who sat on the ground with his great grandchildren. Blaze smiled watching her now two year olds tackling their grandfather over.

Shadow, being his natural charmer, kissed Alena's hand just to annoy Kaze who shook his head. "I have a question for you" Alena said in a soft whisper, Shadow only raised an eyebrow. As much as he had tried to be nice, his non-verbal communications were more effective rather than risking what he could say. 

"Two long years have passed since that last battle, correct?" Shadow could only nod wondering where the Queen was going with this. Alena placed a hand on his arm to calm him down, "Then, why haven't we had an attack from Eggman or a clan?" Shadow could only grit his teeth, looking out the nearby window. Alena smiled softly at him knowing there was an answer whether Shadow would share it, is the question.

Shadow could only sigh, he rubbed his wrist where his inhibitor ring sat. 

"Team Dark disposed of him" 

"Meaning?" Kaze spoke up, Sonic moved over to his partner who hung his head. 

"Dr Eggman is dead" Rouge's voice broke through the room, she stood looking worried at Shadow who had his back to the whole room. All attention turned to the bat who entered with Knuckles following in behind her. The guardian didn't look very happy but he made himself comfortable against the sofa. 

"Are you positive?" Tails spoke up from the floor, he had been there the whole time tinkering with a device.

"We are. Shadow made sure" Rouge spoke up, her worry was shown through her tone. All heads turned towards the black and red male hedgehog. Shadow turned to face the room, in his hand was the gun he had used to take out the one and only Dr Eggman.

"Shadow, please tell me you didn't" Sonic placed a hand on Shadow's arm, "No, his daughter is still alive. She actually moved to the human world" Shadow muttered, Sonic could only nod moving to wrap an arm around his mate. 

"Oh well, there will probably be another enemy turn up soon. Emerald Hills isn't one for staying quiet" Sonic said without a care in the world. Shadow could only smirk at the shocked faces looking at the blue hero.

"Well since we have that off our chests. Can someone explain to me what happened to the armadillo and his family?" Queen Alena asked the room. It went silent, Mighty and Espio weren't a topic brought up often.

"Simple, they left for freedom and peace" Shade spoke up, looking down at her ring. Violet visited the most out of the family but never gave anything away. She protected her family with her life.

"But…we never even got to honour them" Sonia said, looking at Manic who could only nod.

"I think Mighty and Espio have had enough of honour to last a lifetime" Knuckles grunted out.