five

05. Kill Or Be Killed

"Here, I got it" Lily said, grabbing the heavy box from her mother's hands.

"Thank you" Liz said, smiling at her daughter, as she placed the box on top of the cooler.

"Are you off today?" a slightly confused Caroline asked, coming out of her room and seeing her mother out of uniform.

"The Historical Society Volunteer Picnic is today" Liz reminded, "You're the one who signed me up".

"And mom then decided to sign me up, yay picnics!" Lily said sarcastically doing jazz hands, making Liz chuckle and Caroline shake her head.

"Oh, I know" Caroline told Liz, "I just assumed you'd bail".

"Nope, I'm gonna spend the whole day with my two daughters" Liz said.

"You're gonna pretend to be a mother?" Caroline asked, making Lily roll her eyes in annoyance.

"I'll bring my gun if it gets rough" Liz joked.

"You're definitely going to need it, she's in one of her moods today" Lily informed.

"Goody for me" Liz said, while Caroline glared at Lily, who in turn gave her a mock smile.

"Bitch" Caroline said.

"Cow" Lily retorted.

"Girls" Liz warned.

"Sorry" Caroline and Lily mumbled together.

Liz chuckled at her daughters, then turned to Caroline, remembering something, "What was Elena doing here so late last night?".

"Elena was here last night?" a confused Lily asked her sister.

An equally confused Caroline looked at her mother, "Elena wasn't--", suddenly realisation struck her, making her realise that her mother hadn't seen Elena, she had seen Katherine in her room last night, "Yes, Elena was here, she just needed to talk, her and Stefan are going through a rough patch".

"Surprise, surprise" Lily said.

"Lily" Liz warned.

"What?" Lily asked, "I might have changed in the past two years away, but one thing that hasn't changed, one thing that will probably never change is my dislike for that girl".

"How long are you going to hold a grudge against Elena for ruining your painting when we were ten?" Caroline asked.

"For the rest of my life" Lily replied.

"That's petty" Caroline said.

"And I am petty" Lily said proudly, "And I'm not going to apologise for it".

"You're an idiot" Caroline said, realising she was never going to win an argument against Lily.

"Back at you, sister" Lily said, she then turned to her amused mother, "So how much money will you take to let me ditch this picnic?".