nineteen

19. Heart Of Darkness

Caroline entered the school cafeteria and immediately she was shocked seeing everything.

"What is this?" Caroline asked, marching over to her sister.

"What do you mean what is this?" an annoyed Lily asked, "This is the decade dance preparation you're forcing me to help you organise".

"No, this" Caroline said, grabbing a feather boa, "The 20s? We're doing the 70s".

"Yeah, I'm not getting into this" Lily said, "You have a problem? Talk to the person who changed the theme".

"And who will that be?" a confused Caroline asked.

"Who do you think?" Lily asked.

"Too flashy people, it's supposed to be a speakeasy, not the world fair" both Lily and Caroline heard Rebekah say as she entered the cafeteria, when her eyes landed on Caroline, she walked over to the extremely annoyed Forbes, "Ah, good, you're here, we need help setting up the tables, so get to it".

"What do you think you're doing?" a furious Caroline asked.

"Somebody has to be in charge" Rebekah replied.

"Yeah, me, I'm the chair of the dance committee" Caroline retorted, "The theme of the decade dance is the 1970s".

"So you'd rather dress in tacky colors with bad hair than be a classic flapper from the jazz age?" Rebekah asked, "Honestly, I don't know how Lily tolerates you".

"Hey, keep Lily out of this" Lily said, not wanting to get between Caroline and Rebekah, knowing nothing good will come out of it.

"Go on Lily, don't be a coward" Rebekah said, "You know you loved my 20s idea when I presented it to the group".

A shocked Caroline turned to her sister, "Traitor!".

Lily glared at Rebekah, "Do you want me to die?".

"No, I want you to be honest" Rebekah retorted.

Lily sighed, she turned to her sister, "Don't murder me, I just find classic flapper more fun then bell bottoms and disco".

"See? It's more fun" Rebekah taunted Caroline.

"Ugh, whatever, have fun at your stupid dance" Caroline said, stomping out of the cafeteria.

Lily looked at a smug Rebekah, "You just had to put me between you two".

"Of course I did" Rebekah said, looping her arm with Lily's, "So question, what did you decide?".

"About what?" a confused Lily asked.

"About my brother wanting you to leave town with him" Rebekah replied, Lily looked at Rebekah in slight shock, wondering how she knew, "I might have heard your conversation when I was stomping up to my room".

Lily sighed, "I haven't decided anything yet, it's not a easy decision, I mean I would love nothing more then to get out of this town and explore the world, but I can't just leave my mom and sister".