nine

09. Homecoming

Stefan sat on the couch in the Salvatore's library, his phone in hand calling Klaus.

"Portland is fantastic, once you get over all the whiney music" Klaus said, as soon as he answered the phone, "And healthy looking people, it's literally a breeding ground for werewolves".

"Your father is dead" Stefan informed, getting straight to the point.

"What did you say to me?" a suddenly very serious Klaus asked.

"Oh, my mistake, not your actual father, and not dead" Stefan said, "Mikael", Stefan looked to the side where Mikael's daggered body laid, courtesy of Elena, "Daggered, what do you want me to do with the body?".

"Well, first, I want you to explain to me exactly what happened" Klaus said, not knowing if he should believe Stefan or not.

"After realising that Elena is the key to your hybrids, Mikael came after her, but me and Damon ended up using vervain on him, in the process we discovered he had a dagger on him which we're guessing he planned to use on Rebekah but instead, Elena used the fact that Mikael was weak, to drive the dagger through his heart instead" Stefan explained, reciting the plan he, Damon, Elena and Mikael had made.

"I wanna see him, I want to see his rotting body" Klaus stated, "For myself".

"Well, he's here" Stefan said, standing up and walking over to Mikael's desiccated body, and glancing at Elena and Damon, "Come by whenever".

"If you're lying to me, Stefan, your compulsion will expose you" Klaus warned, "So answer with your life, is what you're saying the truth?".

Stefan remembered watching Elena dagger Mikael, "It's true" he promised, "I saw it with my own eyes".

"I want to talk to Rebekah" Klaus demanded.

"That's not a problem, she's right here" Stefan said, turning around and handing the phone over to Rebekah,

"Hello, Nik" Rebekah greeted.

"Rebekah, love" Klaus greeted, "What's this I hear about Mikael's tragic run-in with a dagger?".

Rebekah glanced at Elena, who gave an encouraging nod, "It's true" Rebekah finally said, "He's finally out of our lives for good".

"Is Lily there?" Klaus asked, still having a hard time believing that Mikael was gone.

Rebekah glanced at the entrance of the Salvatore's library where Lily stood, as soon as Rebekah looked at her, Lily knew what Klaus was asking, so she slightly shook her head, she couldn't talk to Klaus, she didn't have it in her to lie to him.

Rebekah blinked at Lily in reassurance, understanding her gesture, "Lily's not here, she's had a rough few days with getting tortured by the ghosts of her past".

"What?" a concerned Klaus asked.

"It's a long story, come home so Lily can tell you all about it herself" Rebekah said, "I miss you, I'm miserable here".

"I'll be home soon" Klaus promised.

"Good" Rebekah said, "I'll see you then, brother", after hanging up the phone on her brother, Rebekah handed the phone back to Stefan, "He bought it", Elena breathed a sigh of relief, "He's coming home".