eight

08. Ordinary People

Lily sat on her bed, her back against the headboard, re-reading her parents letter to her, she has lost count on how many times she has read this letter, by now every word has been tattooed into her brain but despite that Lily kept reading the letter over and over again, she just wasn't ready to put the letter away just yet.

Caroline stood at her sister's door frame, she sighed seeing Lily still reading her parents letter, she hated the blank look on her sister's face, she wanted the sarcastic, angry, impulsive Lily back, she just wanted her sister back.

"I coming bearing an order from Rebekah" Caroline announced, composing herself and entering her sister's room.

"Not interested" Lily told her sister.

"Well, get interested Lily because Rebekah has threatened to come here and drag you to school in your pajamas if you don't come to school before the first period ends" Caroline informed.

"I'd like to see her try" Lily said.

Caroline sighed, she sat on the edge of Lily's bed and grabbed her sister's hand in hers, "Lils, I know you're hurting and I also know that none of us can even start to comprehend what you're feeling, but trapping yourself in the house, it's not going to make the pain go away, the more you think about them, the more it will hurt, so come to school, even if it's for a few hours, distract yourself with helping Rebekah with cheer".

Lily finally looked up at her sister, "I thought you hated Rebekah".

"Oh, I still do hate Rebekah" Caroline clarified, "But, I saw the way she was worried for you when you went missing, only a good and true friend would be that worried".

"My mom, my biological mom, she wants me to give the originals a chance" Lily informed, "I know you all hate the originals, but my fate is tied to them, it's tied to Klaus, I can't hate them Caroline, not unless they give me a reason".

"I understand" Caroline said, "As much as I would like to hide you from the originals, I know you can take care of yourself, I won't stop you from getting to know the originals, from getting to know Klaus, I just hope you understand that if you do get to know Klaus and his family, everyone else will stop trusting you, they just won't understand Lily".

"I don't care about what everyone else thinks, I never have, what I really care about is what you think" Lily said, "Will you stop trusting me?".

"Absolutely not" Caroline said, "You're my sister Lily, I will always trust you, but at the same time there will be times when we will argue because I'm scared for you but it's only because I love you and I worry about you".

Lily gave her sister a small smile, "We will argue, we will fight, but we will always be there for each other, promise?".

"I know I'm an awful sister, but I promise I'll start doing better" Caroline promised, "I promise I will never leave your side, we will fight, we will disagree, but when you need your sister, you will always have her by your side".

Lily smiled at her sister, she then lunged forward and pulled her into a tight hug, Caroline smiled into the hug and gladly hugged her sister back.

Liz stood at the doorframe of Lily's room, tears in her eyes, watching both her daughters with a huge smile on her face.

***