Chapter Four: A Tour to the Wishing Star

Are the coincidences we encounter in our lives truly accidental, without any schemes behind them? Or is fate turning its wheels to make them take place? 

Questions like those whirled in Victoria's mind as she stood before the Wishing Star.

After going through the entire project file, she did a little market research on them of her own with the help of Antelmo. Although the guy was writing the script for another project, he still found some time to help her.

Apparently, the first and central store they opened was just one-storied with a few cabins at the back to locate the top managers and himself. However, as their profit increased, they relocated to a new place.

And now Victoria stared up at their new headquarters and largest store—a three-storied building with the top floor as their office space. He had freshly expanded the entire thing into a clothing and lifestyle retail chain.

He had done well. She thought, impressed.

And as she walked through the glass doors, she found herself getting more impressed. However, the guard at the entrance blocked her way, asking her to enter after keeping her camera bag in a locker and collecting a token.

"It's just a camera and some other equipment that might be needed to take the photographs for the advertisement my company's going to make for the Wishing Star."

The guard looked dubious. "I apologize, ma'am, but I've got to do my duty. Mr. Jones, the CEO of the Wishing Star, said he had great expectations from me when I joined last week."

She looked at his name on the ID card that hung around his neck—James. No, not to complain. She just wanted to know the name of the loyal and dutiful man. Such people were so rare these days.

Nevertheless, she needed to enter Victor Jone's fortress to do her own duties.

Therefore she said, "Didn't anyone notify you that someone from the Chimera was going to visit today?"

"I just joined half an hour ago, and it was my day off yesterday," James smiled apologetically. "But I can call our store manager and ask her."

"Please do," Victoria nodded.

But even after calling three times, the said store manager didn't pick up. James looked awkward. "I think she's in the washroom or something. Our GM is also on a day off; she will be quite busy today—she would not pick up the calls..."

James was more like mumbling to himself now. Then he proceeded to call the CEO. And suddenly, the CCTV camera up before her on the wall lit up, blinking at a few points. At the moment, Victor was probably looking at her through that, and she got no good vibes from it.

Feeling anxious, she crossed her arms.

She was not usually like this. As a professional and passionate photographer, she had a history of traveling to a myriad of places and encountering plenty of people—some good, some vile, and the rest of all grey. But it was hardly ever the case that she had lost her cool as she did with Victor.

It was the same as it used to be years ago.

Victoria stilled, hearing James say to the phone, "Throw her out, Mr. Jones? Are you sure?"

She ground her teeth, feeling the bite of familiar humiliation piercing her skin.

Hanging up, James looked her way uncomfortably and was beginning to say, "I'm sorry, Miss, I've been ordered to—"

"Well, I heard." To save herself the shame, Victoria didn't let him continue delivering his boss's order. Giving a tight-lipped smile at him, she walked out to stand at the stairs outside the entrance.