Chapter Thirty-eight (Last Chapter): And Then It Rained

Nothingness.

It was an endless nothingness. Victoria could only realize the existence of this nothingness and understood how comfortable it was only during the moments some annoying voices and activities stirred her from it. 

These voices talked around her, uncaring of how irritated she felt because of them. However, they never continued their disturbing sessions for long except for one of them.

This one lone voice cried and begged constantly, which made her want to punch him in the guts to make him stop. The guy had lost his mind, and Only God knew the reason why. He also said some weird but interesting stuff.

Apparently, she was supposed to get married to him again, and according to him, she had told him that. 

Again? Her focus zeroed in on that word. What did he mean by that?

This person also promised her that he would buy her a new camera. And she needed to wake up to tell him what professional requirements regarding that camera she had as he had zero knowledge in this matter.

Why would this guy want to buy her a camera? 

He demanded she wake up from the comfortable state she was in just to marry him and also tried to bribe her with a camera. How preposterous!

Everything seemed so utterly confusing, and this idiotic guy was not showing any signs of stopping. 

Irritation drove her to push through the dense nothingness quite unwillingly. 

A constant beeping noise was the first thing that registered to her. 

The smell of disinfectants, roses, and a cologne greeted her nose, which she scrunched to inhale better and try to figure out the condition she was in. 

It was difficult to open her eyes at first due to the blinding bright light. But she persisted in fluttering them open.

A hospital. Victoria looked around. 

Round, beautiful black eyes. They were the first thing she noticed about the guy at her bedside. 

Victor.

He was looking at her wide-eyed. His grab on her hand tightened, making her realize he was holding her hand the whole time. He said something she could not understand, and when she tried to ask him to repeat it, she found her throat making barely any sound. And then he was looking around, calling someone in a frenzy.

She couldn't remember anything after that.

The next time she opened her eyes, Victor was still there. He didn't look surprised or holler around like the first time. However, his eyes lit up as he looked at her. 

"Hi—" she croaked and started to cough. Her throat was so dry it felt like a grater moved down it when she tried to talk.

Immediately, Victor brought a paper cup near her mouth. "Here." And he helped her drink from it, moving the upper portion of her hospital bed slightly up. She gulped from the cup greedily, feeling the inside of her throat already beginning to calm as it soaked in the cold water.

In the meantime, she noticed his features.

He looked like he hadn't slept in weeks. He had eyebags and dark, dense stubble, and his hair was a mess on his head. The wrinkled black shirt  She wondered if he had eaten because his face, although handsome, looked quite dry and malnourished.

In brief terms, it looked like a storm had swept over Victor.

"More water?" he asked her delicately, as though she would break if he even talked to her louder than this.