Chapter Twenty: His Worry, Her Humiliation and the Return of the Indian Prince

It was quite late at night when Victoria returned home. 

Her every step and action was incredibly cautious as she unlocked the door and got it. It was dimly lit inside, and it took a few seconds for her eyes to get used to the darkness. In those few seconds, she guessed Victor had probably returned home tired to his bones and collapsed to sleep somewhere—on the couch or the bed. She blinked and focused to find the couch empty. 

Then it must be the bed—she guessed.

Relaxing, with a slow exhale of breath, she opened her shoes and shoved them at the shoe corner next to the door. 

"You should keep the shoes inside that cabinet to not make the very entrance of the house a mess," a deep voice sounded from the direction of the dining area.

And truly, there was a silhouette sitting on one of the chairs—stiff and unmoving. Victoria was so startled she screamed. As the silhouette stood up and started moving, she frantically took steps in reverse until her back connected to the main door. 

It stood close to the wall now. 

Victoria's brain had numbed temporarily. 

Suddenly, lights turned on, and everything was bright and clear.

"You!" Victoria's staggered breath finally began to get normal while irritation for this impossible man also began to rise. "Who sits in the dark like this like a freak?"

"Do you have an idea what time it is?" Victor raised his left hand and tapped his fingers on the wristwatch—emphasizing his point.

Why was he trying to be like a hostel in charge of teenagers? 

She didn't know she required his permission to stay out late. "Why do you ask?"

"Perhaps because you are injured, and the doctor instructed you to eat well and timely. Did you forget that?"

"I—"

He cut in with a sarcastic smile, "But you probably didn't have time to remember all that since you were busy with much more important stuff—perhaps being in the arms of a lover."

She was absolutely stunned. "What?"

Victor looked away. "Your father did tell me about your voracious dating habits before threatening my mother and sister to make me marry you."

Wow. Those were some staggering information.

"I'm sorry that my father dragged your mother and sister in the middle of all of this, but can't you even guess what kind of a man he is by it? He's the master of lies, a selfish b*stard—that he is. And you're no good yourself believing in the words of his vile mouth." Her entire body shook with anger.

"He was not there all those years ago when you lied and humiliated me at school—before Valentine's bash—"

"Indeed, he was not there," she retorted. "But his favorite nephew Ricky was. I guess you know him by how you were always trailing after me during those days."

For once, Victor was left speechless. 

Done with this shit, she walked toward the bathroom. She heard Victor gasp. 

"Your other foot is bleeding!" he shrieked. "What did you do, woman? How is it possible for you to acquire new injuries every other day?"

Was this man insane? Or was he having a male period and mood swings? 

She tried to disregard him and keep moving on her way, but he still demanded stubbornly, "Answer me!"

Entirely riled up, she turned around and snapped at him, "You should have noticed that the first thing instead of insinuating all sorts of demeaning stuff about me! You should have asked that first!"