Chapter Twenty-five: The Event

After breaking Ricky's nose, they had called it a night—well, Victor and Victoria did. The other two conscious people (the power siblings Rex and Regina) were throwing a fit. Rex, especially, started to threaten them heatedly. 

Disregarding all, Victoria darted out of the house, following Victor. Surprisingly, he still held her hand securely. 

This side of him—this protective side of him was entirely new to her. Sure, she had seen glimpses and heard how he cared about the people around him. Now, she was witnessing it, feeling the warmth and depth of his formidable safekeeping directing toward and surrounding her for the first time. 

Inside the car, her eyes filled up with tears—not from pain. It was because no one had ever stood up for her against Rex Davies. Since the moment Victor started to stand for her, she realized she was suddenly being able to relax. Suddenly, it was okay for her not to be prepared for yet another fist giving her another bruise or getting into a brawl to save herself from being dominated. 

Without her even asking, she had someone who stood in front of her like a shield. 

"Hey," Victor's voice snapped her out of her thoughts. "Why are you crying? Did that prick you call a father grip your arm that hard? Come on, show me. Gosh, at this rate, your whole body will be a bandage." His agitation escalated over the passing seconds. 

Indeed, tears streamed down her cheeks, she realized and hurried to wipe them with the palms of her hands. "It's not hurting, truly," She shook her head frantically when Victor started to check her arm for injuries.

Wiping her face clean, she closed her eyes and bent her head. 

Victor was quiet for a long couple of minutes before he called her name indulgently, "Victoria. Look up." But she did not move. "Look up at me, please."

A second passed, and then she looked up. Although she had wiped her tears, her eyes hadn't dried yet.

"If you're not hurting, then why are you crying?" Victor coaxed.

"It's nothing," Victoria said, sniffing. Feeling his stare unwavering, she sneaked a look up at his face and found disbelief written all over his expression. "No one had ever dared to save me like you did, knowing they would have to face the all-powerful Rex Davies to do so," she shrugged weakly, and she couldn't help but whimper—breaking into tears again.

A look of turmoil crossed Victor's face. 

He had already slipped close to her while checking her arm for any injuries. That's why he didn't have to cross a great distance to engulf her in a hug. Just angling his body, he covered her with an arm and dragged her willing body into his soothing embrace.

"It's been me all alone all these years," she said, sniffling into his shirt. "Even when I had to sit in front of the scrutinizing eyes of the psychiatrist, I was still alone," she chuckled sardonically. "After all, that damned psychiatrist was under my father's dominance, too. His money can buy anything; the fear he produces can overpower anyone—"

"Not me," was Victor's instant reply. "Not from tonight, that is. You'll never be alone, Victoria."

But what if someone's fated to be alone in the end, no matter what.

Her tears had originated a large wet spot on his shirt. Her cheek felt cold as she rubbed on that spot. For some time, he ran a hand up and down at the back of his head. It calmed her mind magically.

Like the night of the wedding, she nodded off in the car at some point during their journey back home.

Home.