Chapter Thirty-seven: When It All Crashed

For the last many years, Victoria had heard this voice, and fear was the inevitable feeling that forever followed. Next came disgust. She felt disgusted by her father, her fate, and how she was always subdued by him.

The same feelings surfaced this time as well.

However, something else had also risen within her. 

She had dared. And she had got a taste of blood in the war. Now, there was no forgetting that.

As per her father's warning, she didn't cut the call, but it was not because she was scared of him. It was because she was finally ready to face his bulshit and end his dominance over her once and for all.

"I've been incredibly patient with your reckless attitude and evil actions over the years," Rex's voice was low and cold. And his sentences were as though they had a feral growl-like quality. "But you've crossed a limit this time, daughter."

Victoria's hold on the steering tightened. "No, father," she matched his tone. "I'm the one who's been suffering over the years because of your filthy psychopathic ways—"

His voice raised, "Victori—"

But she was not going to stop. Over his voice, she raised hers, "You made my life a living hell after Mom died. Your abuse ruined half of my life while your nonsensical rules and expectations and your malice remained with me like a haunting demon."

"You insolent—"

"I'm so done with you and your nonsense, Dad. You need to stop interfering in my life, or I will—"

"Or what?" Rex yelled. "You'll disgrace me through the media! Call the cops to ruin my business!"

Now, now—she frowned, confused beyond the limit. "Wait a second. When did I call the cops to harm your business."

"Don't pretend you didn't know Adi and I had some joined business ventures. You bloody hell knew it and did what you did intentionally."

Oh, boy. Did she mistakenly hit a jackpot by calling trouble on Adi? 

She doubted her father would believe she was unaware he was involved in Adi's illegal business.

People would probably call it killing two birds with one stone. But hell, Victoria wasn't aware of the existence of the second bird at all.

"The men police caught today have opened their mouths..." It was like Rex Davies was muttering to himself at this point now. Perhaps he was gradually getting driven toward insanity. The most crucial question was if it was good news for Victoria.

"Karma never lets anyone escape, Dad," Victoria said softly--calmly. It was as though she was trying to search for and draw out if found any hint of goodness left in her father. "But it may be forgiving to those who wish to change—"

"So, you're going to lecture me on Karma now!" Rex bellowed. He took ragged breaths, and Victoria didn't know what to say to him anymore. There was no fixing her father. And so she was preparing to cut the call. But Rex started speaking again in a dangerously calm tone, this time, "What did you think, dear daughter? I will let you get unpunished for the devilish wings that you've grown?"

A chill ran down Victoria's spine. 

The traffic was light. Victoria could see Victor's car in front of him. Suddenly, she wanted nothing more than to be with him at this very moment. 

"What if I take away that one thing from you that has coaxed these wings to sprout free," Rex said, letting out a sadistic chuckle. "Yes, oh, yes. I guess that would be a punishment enough for you—something that you will remember for a lifetime. And you'll know not to mess with your father anymore."