Chapter Twenty-eight: First Step of Seperation

Victoria didn't imagine this would be so hard.

Coming out of the incredibly organized office of a divorce lawyer, Victoria blinked rapidly. Her eyes stung.

It seemed that despite the overall neat look of the middle-aged, confident yet friendly woman's office, there was, after all, some hidden dust in the air that must have gotten into her eyes.

Next, she called Rollan to confirm her tour to Japan. This year she was going to add all her pending vacation days from the past few years to her tour. She was grateful to Rollan for letting her keep them unlike the system with paid holidays that would expire after the limit of a year in other companies.

Buying a cafe latte from the Starbucks, she was walking toward the nearest bus-stop to get home. She would get back her wings after her car was going to be handed to her tomorrow.

A car rolled down to a stop next to her.

A little startled, she turned around to look at the face through the rolled down window. But it was only just Victor.

Now, now—the relief and little blast of cheeriness she felt realizing it was him surprised her quite a bit.

He looked cool with that black sunglasses on.

"Where are you headed to?" He asked.

"Home," she replied and thought it won't be 'home' for long.

"Get in," Victor gestured again to the empty seat next to him.

She tried to say no but, at last, gave in when he demanded indignantly. It almost felt like he was demonstrating his right to her. In every respect, that felt hypocritical as it was a now well-known fact that his heart had been beating for a woman who was not his wife.

There was still a kind of awkwardness between them. Still, he was being kind. Still, she was civil to his kindness.

Sighing, she got into the passenger side of his car and put on the seat belt. Her camera bag was on her lap, and she hugged it tightly.

After driving in silence for about ten minutes like that, when Victoria started to feel that the awkwardness between them could not be cut even with a knife, she heard Victor clearing his throat. Perhaps, he was feeling the same as well. 

"How was your day?" he suddenly spoke—an attempt on his part to casual talk.

"It was a regular office day," she answered simply while adding to the sentence in her mind—turning up for her appointment with the divorce lawyer, feeling frustrated while explaining her situation to her in detail because it involved divulging information about her father's abusive behavior to her (although partly) to a complete stranger, and finally, filing for divorce.

She took a heavy breath and wondered why it was bothering her so much—the entire divorce thing. 

She also felt Victor's piercing eyes on her but didn't turn to look and comment on it.

Victor didn't put any effort into starting another conversation, perhaps feeling her lack of enthusiasm for that. 

Good.

Soon, the car came to a stop in front of Victor's apartment building. The feeling of familiarity in her that she realized had grown for this place made her insides twist again. 

She had just pushed on the seatbelt button to disengage it from her body. It was then that—suddenly, she didn't know what had happened for Victor to cross the driving gears between them at the same time as yanking her closer. Almost instantly, he pasted his lips on her.