Chapter Fourteen: The First Night

A loud noise shook her.

Her eyes snapped open. She might have dozed off at some point. 

It took her a few seconds to get well-tuned with her memories and the feeling of doom. That she had fallen asleep with all these was a surprise in itself. Anyway, sleep felt quite relieving. It was good to remain completely detached from her worries and the mess that was her life.

Did death feel like this?

The state of nothingness felt profusely sweet. Perhaps, this was the reason so many people craved it.

The noise that woke her was of Victor slamming his car door unnecessarily hard. Now, standing outside, he checked his phone before pocketing it and the car keys. Then he opened the car door again to lean in and get out some other stuff.

Victoria noticed he didn't even spare her a single, minuscule glance, as though she did not even exist.

Sighing, she opened the door softly as if any louder noise would unleash the beast she had a glimpse of back at the launching party of the advertisement.

She stepped out of the car, fixing her dress sleeves on her shoulders. They had slipped down a little too much in her sleep.

Suddenly, he was walking toward the building entrance. There was nothing else she could do or think of doing other than following him. 

His strides were long, and she tripped a few times on her dress along the way. The ride up in the elevator was awkward, with the silence still loyally intact between them. In fact, the small, enclosed place thickened it.

A small corridor led to his apartment. After opening the door with his key and walking in, he stood still at the entryway.

Victoria stared at him. 

He stood stiff, facing sideways, hands planted on his hips. There was a blank, cold look in his eyes. She wondered why he was standing there like that without doing anything or going anywhere at all. 

Suddenly, he snapped his face in her direction and stared directly at her. It seemed like a heavy, steel ball had dropped on her heart out of nowhere. Befuddled, her eyebrows rose.

He scowled. "Are you not going to get in or what? I have to close the door after you do that!"

Oh! Right.

The embarrassment!

Hastily, she walked in and looked to the left. A comfy-looking couch, a tea table in front of it, the LED TV on the wall at opposite, a few laminated photos glued to the wall next to the TV—it was the living room. There was a small dining area attached to it at the right. The table was small and would hardly have four people sitting around it.

Victor stormed around to shut the door way too loudly. She jumped. He then whirled around and walked past her. Hanging his keys on the wall key holder, he went straight toward what looked to be the bedroom and slammed the door behind him. 

There was fury coated in everything he did.

Dumbfounded, she stood in the middle of an entirely new house. And although she was commanded to enter it, she did not feel she was welcomed there.

Now, what was she supposed to do?

Victor came out almost instantly, carrying a towel with him. He had lost his coat and tie. His shirt was untucked from his pants, and the top buttons of his shirt were undone. The white skin of his chest peeked out. His physique had changed quite a lot from how he used to be all those years ago.