Chapter Twenty-one: Half the Truth, Half a Truce

In her entire life, Victoria had never known that getting saved from the hands of evil and seeing that said evil getting pulpified on the floor could feel so serene.

Sure, there were people like her boss Rollan, Alex at the motel, and other godsent ones who'd intervened or helped in any way possible.

But this—this scene right in front of her eyes at this moment stunned her with some ethereal feeling.

Her senses returned shortly after she fell to the floor as Adi's grip suddenly vanished from her throat. As soon as her eyes adjusted to the light, she blinked and gasped aloud, looking at Victor looming over Adi's half-conscious body spread out on the floor. He ceaselessly punched Adi, who groaned and moaned from the pain.

"Oh, thank God, you're awake," Sumaia huffed a breath of relief as she helped Victoria sit up. "I was so afraid."

"No—" Victoria coughed as speaking hurt her throat a little. Her voice sounded like she had a bad cold. Still, she pushed herself to say, "We've bigger things to worry about at the moment," she nodded toward Victor pulpifying Adi. "There."

Sumaia scrunched her brows. "At this rate, there's going to be a murder." She was rising to her feet, but Victoria held her back.

"Don't. It's like a rampage, and you shouldn't risk getting in the middle of it. Let's deal with it from afar," Victoria said, covering her throbbing throat with the palm of one hand. 

Sumaia threw up her hands in indignation. "How?"

"Well," Victoria looked around and found Sumaia's groceries scattered close to all the chaos. The poor girl could never shop in peace. There were some tin cans, noodles, rice, and eggs. 

Eggs! Huh.

Angling her body, Victoria reached out and got the carton of eggs closer to her.

"What are you going to do with it?" Sumaia looked confused.

Without giving a reply, Victoria aimed the egg at Victor with one eye closed and then threw it. She heard Sumaia gasp beside her, and Victor went absolutely still. Only Adi twisted weakly and grunted low in pain.

The egg had hit him squarely on the side of his face. The shell broke instantly at the contact, and the yellow, slimy liquid trickled down his face and neck. Astonished, Victor craned his neck to glance down at it, then transferred his gaping stare to Victoria. 

"Stop, Victor," she said in her now raspy voice. 

The muscle underneath his one eye ticked. "You threw an egg at me—"

"You need to stop murdering him," she said, holding the wall as support to raise to her feet. Sumaia following her.

"He was throttling you!" He reminded her of the reason for his beating with a tone like he could not believe it. And then he turned back to Adi and grabbed his collar.

Victoria was ready to throw another egg, but there was a lack of any further movement on Victor's part except for how he was still glaring, looming over Adi's half-unconscious form. 

Sumaia put a hand comfortingly on Victoria's. 

Victor brought out his phone and was suddenly dialing on it. 

"What—" Victoria coughed. "What are you doing?"

"Calling the cops, what else?" Victor muttered back.

Victoria felt Sumaia's hand stiffening and sighed. While it was tempting to get rid of one of the villains from her life because this moment right here was an excellent opportunity for just that, Victoria knew it was better to suppress it for someone else's safety.