Chapter Twenty-seven: The Beach, Birthday, and Verdicts

The round hat on Victoria's head tipped out of place while she was in the process of tucking the open strands of her hair behind her ears. She put the hat in place and adjusted her sunglasses that would nicely protect her from the mighty sun today. Nevertheless, she had taken a coat to put on in the evening. 

Although beautiful autumn cools it all off after sunset, the days are relatively warm, especially for a few beginning days of the season. The weather this year was as unhinged as the twists and turns of Victoria's life.

She sighed at the pleasant feeling of her light, cotton beach dress brushing around her thighs, matching the rhythm of the wind's dance.

Not just the sun, but even the wind seemed to be strong, too, this particular day. On the birthday of such a wild-spirited girl like Ellie, the weather, too, perhaps, had shifted to adjust her soul's energy as a gesture of celebrating the day she was born. 

That's right. The day had come when they were finally celebrating Ellie's birthday—a beach birthday, to be precise. It was Ellie's idea—going out to the Sea-town beach, which was her most favorite place in the outskirts of Asthel. 

Ellie, Kate, her child Owen, Neil (he was going to stay in Asthel for a while), and of course, Victor and Victoria—that was their small gang headed for the party. 

In the passenger seat of Victor's car, she got in and remained quiet as he started the car. The engine purred to life as he twisted the key. He handled the steering with sturdy hands and remained as quiet as her as they set out for Kate's place, where he was going to pick her up. Neil would pick up Ellie and meet at Kate's as well, from where the two vehicles would take the entire gang to the beach.

Minutes passed, and none of the two talked inside the car. There were only noises of their breathing and random coughs and awkward clearing of throats here and there. 

It had been two days since the event day. And for some reason, they both got into a state where they were avoiding conversing with each other unless it was absolutely necessary like it might pass a contagious disease or something. 

"I'm good waiting out here," Victoria stated in reply when Victor said he was going up to help Kate come downstairs with Owen.

He was so caring toward her— toward Kate.

Victoria never smoked. But for some reason, at the moment, she felt like it wouldn't have felt bad if she did. Perhaps, a cigarette or, at least, a vape would have calmed her state of mind.

When they came back, set the baby seat for Owen, and Kate was about to get in the backseat, Victoria rushed and insisted she sat at the front, next to Victor.

"I'll sit with Owen—" Kate was protesting. And not to mention, she looked immaculate as always in a loose, floor-length, sky-blue beach dress, which perfectly matched the blue t-shirt Victor was doing on today with casual pants. 

Anyway, Victoria was damn stubborn today about the sitting matters. And what could she do if they decided to match the colors of their dresses? So, she said, "Let me spend some time with this munchkin. By the way, he already seems so awestruck by me," she jokingly finished.

And truly, the munchkin Owen was truly staring at her with a spellbound smile stuck on his face.

Kate chuckled. "Are you sure?"

Victoria rolled her eyes. "Well, of course."

As Kate got into the front seat, finally convinced, Victoria let out a discreet sigh. The inside of her heart twisted.

This whole time during the battle to take the backseat, Victor was a silent observer, leaning against his car toward the driver's seat.

Now that Kate was inside the car, Victoria glanced at Victor properly. He was staring at her in abundant curiosity.