Chapter Sixteen: A Looser in a Hospital

It was almost how thunders function but in reverse. 

Victoria heard a myriad of noises from the black nothingness. A male voice stood out among all the others—panicking, demanding answers to something, saying indecipherable things.

Stark white and blinding light made her snap her eyes close as soon as she tried opening them.

She felt a soft pressure on her arm—a grip that was neither forceful nor too unnoticeable. The same male voice she had been hearing throughout the nothingness took her name this time, "Victoria—"

There was uncertainty in his tone. It was as if the person did not know what to do or say.

Victoria flickered her eyelids a couple more times before finally adjusting her gaze to the light.

It was Victor—the owner of the voice.

He sat on a stool next to her and looked at her with wide-eyed concern. "You're awake," he said.

"Bingo," she found that her voice had turned raspy.

Moving her head, she looked around the place she was in. White curtains hung around her, creating a tiny, privy place. She was lying on a bed with white sheets. There was another white sheet covering half of her body. A machine was turned on next to her bed's steel headboard. It showed her initials.

"I'm—" Victoria frowned. "In a hospital!"

Victor sighed. "When you fainted, we brought you to the hospital. Apparently, you were deeply exhausted and malnourished because of not eating properly, which is the reason—"

"We?" She cut in confusedly.

He looked irritated because of her interruption, but still, he answered, "my neighbor was bloody eavesdropping and came running to help the moment you collapsed."

Ah, she recalled seeing a woman peeking out the door opposite Victor's place. Then there was also this female face she remembered seeing before waking up on this bed now.

"You didn't have to bring me to a hospital," she said, rubbing her face and eyes and realizing there was a cannula attached to the back of her hand. 

By the way, had he been gripping her arm? Not that he was now.

She discreetly looked at his hands. Yep, they were safely wringing one another in front of him.

Victor pressed the button on her headboard, and soon a nurse came to check her vitals and ask her some questions. She left after saying the doctor would come to see her soon.

For some reason, Victor seemed frustrated as he returned to wringing his hands again. She had a feeling she wouldn't have to ask to know the reason from him.

It turned out she was right as he finally threw up his hands and exploded, "I don't understand—Why would you starve? Why would you drive yourself to the point that your body would freaking collapse—" 

"Apparently," she faked a laugh. "I feel so happy that I forgot to eat. What is there to not understand about it?"

That stumped him to silence for the next couple of minutes. However, the wringing of his hands didn't stop. His expression screamed that he had more queries. He opened and closed his mouth a few times but struggled to let it out. It irked Victoria to no end.

"What?" she snapped.

With his eyes narrowed, he finally let it out, "The doctor said you had bruises on you—she said they were signs of abuse."

Victoria stilled and looked away. 

"Who is the b*stard that hurt you, Victoria?" he indignantly demanded.