Chapter Twelve: The Master of Lies

Like a dark storm, the scandal chased Rex Davies wherever he went. Bit by bit, it made people question the reputation and position he had incrementally built over such a long period of time. The struggle, the competition, even licks of failure—he had gone through it all after settling down in this country—and winning against them, he had acquired a fortune most people could only dream of. Now, because of his only daughter, he faced the threat of losing that.

His wayward daughter had created a dent in his decades of hard work. And some rubbish, nobody was an equal partner to that.

From the backseat of his car, Rex Davies looked out the tinted window and up at the apartment building. His bodyguard appeared in his line of sight and softly knocked once at the glass of the window. Rex rolled down the window, and with his usual solemn expression, the bodyguard informed him, "It's all clear, Mr. Davies."

It was only after hearing that Rex came out of the car and inhaled fresh wind, impending suffering, and dark conclusions in the mysterious twilight. 

Still fully not daring to believe the guard, he kept his sunglasses on and his head down as he marched up to the steps leading to the entrance of the building. Those filthy journalists and paparazzi could be lurking anywhere around the corners, and in this upper-middle-class suburb, there were too many such corners. 

He was disappointed that Victor Jones lived in such an area; he was further annoyed learning his background information. 

Not even the most influential people found the courage to do what this boy, the size of a worm in his eyes, had done—stepping foot on Rex Davies' tail. If he started destroying this guy and everything he had, he would be done way too soon—because the damned guy did not have much, to begin with. 

It would rarely sate his vengeance.

Nevertheless, it could not be possible for people who harmed Rex Davies to go unscathed—whether it was his wayward daughter or a foolish loser.

That's why like always, he had brainstormed a kind of punishment to be delivered to both of them served on the same platter. A punishment that would also diminish the bloody scandal they had started.

Ringing the doorbell, Rex waited with his hands in his pants pockets. He heard noises behind from the flat opposite Victor Jones' and glanced at the back of a woman in a long, black hoodie getting into the elevator.

The door in front of him clicked open.

"Mr. Jones," Rex Davies greeted the young man in his mid-twenties, looking back at him speculatively. The boy was tall and good-looking, which disappointed him a bit. The more he lacked, the more Rex Davies would have benefitted from his design.

There was recognition in the boy's eyes. Indeed, he had seen the videos. 

"Do I need to introduce myself?" Rex asked.

Sighing, Victor moved sideways to invite him in, "Please, come inside, Mr. Davies."

Rex Davies smirked at the sight of the apartment. It was as tiny as a bird's nest. He stood in the middle of the attached living and dining area with the kitchen. From there, he could see another half-opened door through which a glimpse of a double bed—empty and thoroughly made. He was already aware of Victor's mostly non-existent dating life, so there were no mistresses. However, Rex had heard of his way too-chummy friendship with a colleague. Who knew what more was into it?

It was a wonder how much could be dug up about a person when a professional detective was set after him.

Without any effort or insistence on Victor's part, Rex Davies made himself comfortable on the sofa. He was aware of Victor studying him vigilantly as if a predatorial animal had arrived at his home unannounced—which must be just the case.