Chapter Nineteen: Sumaia's Tale

"You must come with us, Victoria," Ellie's tone was firm.

"But wouldn't I be an awkward extra among all of your friends? Besides, I need to make some preparations for the deal Victor had expanded with my company," Victoria tried as softly and logically as possible not to accept the firm invitation.

"Don't be such a bore, Vicks girl—"

"Vicks girl?" Victoria was flabbergasted.

"You're my friend, too. We sealed this new bond right when you helped me with the period cramps reliever, whatever its name," Ellie was passionate about her speech. "And all the preparatory work can be done successfully in work days. Now, don't tell me you don't get a day off each week!"

Now, Victoria had no other way but to accept the invitation as she was trapped perfectly.

The truth was that Victor would be there. And Kate, too.

Now, Kate was an incredible person. Victoria had no doubt about it.

Yet, for some reason, how Victor was with Kate always made Victoria feel awkward.

A question persistently surfaced in those moments—were they attracted to each other—Victor and Kate?

If the answer came out positive, Victoria feared she had disrupted the destiny of their love.

But it was always a possibility, wasn't it? Victor could be in love with someone even when uttering his marriage vows to her. After all, he wasn't a willing participant in it.

Victoria returned home quite late that evening after another stroll around the area with her camera. Well, bit was more like a photo drive, as her injured foot wouldn't let her walk for long. So, she just aimlessly drove around and got down wherever necessary, not getting too far from the car.

While clicking some great shots, an idea came to her mind to make a story about homeless people. It was potentially going to be a hit, just like her last story about struggling models, which the EDN had appreciated a lot and paid her a hefty amount for it. Undoubtedly, crossing paths with George, the self-proclaimed king of the homeless, had a huge motivational part behind this idea.

Every coincidence brings a fated destination.

Stepping out of the elevator, Victoria walked down the corridor to Victor's apartment. It was slowly turning normal for her, unlike the first couple of days after the wedding.

Someone was wailing badly—there was a frightened and dismal quality to the voice.

Her steps slowed down due to her trying to locate the source. It was coming from Sumaia's apartment. She realized and paused in front of her door.

In a state of uncertainty, Victor stood there for some time, not knowing whether to knock on her door and ask her what was wrong. Soon, that uncertainty transformed into alarm as a male voice also sounded alongside the sailing, and it was fast nearing the door.

Turning around, Victoria hurtled toward Victor's apartment door—limping and huffing quietly. However,  she didn't close the door completely. Through a minuscule gap, she watched.

She recalled the bruise on Sumaia's face that morning and stayed extra alert, extra quiet. Surely, the man she had seen coming out of Sumaia's was not a good person. What if this was the same man?

And indeed, a man in dark clothing like that day walked out—the one she had witnessed blurrily through the peephole.

Sumaia couldn't be seen today. However, her gasping cries were starker as they wafted out through the now-open door.