Chapter Twenty-Four: An Evening with Her Family

In the past, Victoria had always found it weird whenever Rex Davies had ordered the silver cutleries out on special occasions, and they had to eat in them. She found it weird still in the present day as they sat at the long dining table. 

It was one of the extravagance ways of the Davies family. They would eat dishes served on silver plates and bowls, using silver spoons and forks. 

Victor and Victoria had reached the Davies house late to spend as less time as possible there. Before they stepped out of Victor's apartment, he had stared at her get up from head to toe for a long minute. And she had nervously tugged the simple black knee-length dress she had put on. She wondered if the black shirt (with no coat for tonight's event) Victor had put on had anything to do with him wanting to match her outfit. Or perhaps it was just a coincidence. At last, Victor had pointed out that crumbs of the cookie she had eaten earlier decorated parts of her dress. Huh, and she had thought he would compliment her.

Rex Davies sat at the head of the table, looking as regal and stiff as always in a three-piece suit. Others sat at both sides of the table. 

Almost as though it was a silent declaration of being the right hand of Rex, Regina sat at his right, closest to him. Victor sat closest to him at the left, after which Victoria took her seat—despite her father's well-expressed but vocally mute chagrin. Actually, after they had reached the Davies's mansion purposefully late, an annoyed and bored Regina had instantly commanded Victoria to take the seat opposite to her and closest to Rex on the left. However, Victor had counter-attacked calmly, graciously asking Victoria which seat she would like to take. Of course, she had pointed to the one she was sitting now. Gently pushing her chosen chair back and helping her sit down like a chivalrous man, Victor had positioned himself between her father and her.

Like a wall, his tall and straight form was stationed between them.

From the corner of her eyes, Victoria noticed her father glaring at Victor and her. Regina looked at them with dead cold eyes.

Victoria squirmed in her seat.

A myriad of consequences that could take place because of riling them up crossed her mind. 

At least she was familiar with the hurt they could inflict. But Victor—as far as she knew from Ellie one of these days, came from a loving family and a merry childhood. That's why she worried for him. Because although it was her family, she knew the horrors they could inflict on someone. 

She had her hands placed on her lap and swirled her thumbs around one another anxiously.

Under the table, a hand suddenly was placed on hers discreetly. 

It was the same warmth as last night that soaked into her skin. It was a touch of care and protection.

She looked to the side and up at Victor. He stared back at her, and his gaze depicted she needn't worry. 

The kitchen staff served food. Most of these people were Indians whom her father had brought to the country through employment visas. Especially the Davies household always had an Indian chef because of a strong inclination toward Indian cuisine. The recent chef was Hari, who had played his magic even today.

Many familiar dishes were laid out in front of them, with the main focus on biryani.

However, neither she nor Victor had much interest in relishing them. Both of them were as alert as they would have been on a battlefield. 

Also, Victoria thought that her husband was a better chef than the pro in Davies' kitchen.

Wait.