Declan Rice | v | Christmas Edition 🎄✨

"Do you think he's coming?"

"Who?"

"The hottie from last year, the one with the Irish name who flirted with you."

"Oh, Declan Rice."

"That's the one! Do you think he's coming?"

"I don't know. But he officially is the captain this season, so maybe" I shrug, trying to hide that I'm crossing all my fingers and toes hoping he is coming.

Last year he spent the whole Christmas visit flirting with me and even invited me to grab a coffee after my shift, but I had to say no because I had a boyfriend. This year, things are different. I'm single and ready to mingle. He just needs to still be interested on me...

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"Wow. He looks even hotter than last year."

"I know" I say, watching Declan as he walks into the hospital, my boss and some other doctors welcoming him and the two teammates he's come with. They all are wearing their West Ham tracksuits, and as usual, he is wearing his joggers with white socks over them. Why? Who knows.

"I can get you a pair if you fancy them so much."

"What?" I say, meeting his eyes and getting lost on the most beautiful shade of blue I have ever seen. How is it possible that even his eyes look better than they did last year?

"My trainers" Declan chuckles. "I can't get you a pair for yourself, they are very comfortable if you have to walk a lot."

"Oh, thank you" I say, feeling my cheeks get very warm.

"Guys, let's go upstairs, the kids are dying to see you" my boss says, gesturing towards the lift.

"How's been your year, Doc?" Declan asks me once we are inside. We are at the back, the others kind of hiding us.

"Definitely not as good as yours, captain Rice" I smile.

"Yeah" he chuckles, running a hand through his hair and making me want to do the same. "May I ask what happened?"

"My boyfriend broke up with me."

"Good" he says. "I mean, bad. Or maybe good. Was he a dick?"

"No, not really. It was just that things weren't working out between us anymore."

"Ok, we are here" my boss says as the lift's doors open. "We'll go through the rooms, have a chat with the kids and the parents, take some photos, give them the presents... You know the drill."

Once Declan and his teammates start visiting the kids, I can't help but smile from ear to ear. They all are so happy when they see them! Especially when they see him. He has a smile for all of them, and somehow, he manages to make all of them laugh.

"He's such a sweetheart" one of the mums says.

"He is" I hear myself saying.

"We must take a photo with you too" another mum says to me when we visit them.

"Me? No, no, this is all about the kids."

"My kid wouldn't be here if it wasn't because of you."

"C'mon, Doc" Declan says with a smile, opening his arm and asking me to pose next to him.

"Ok then" I say, taking a deep breath.

"Your work here is amazing. You deserve the recognition" he says to my ear, putting his arm around my waist.

"Thank you" I mutter, looking at him and getting lost on those blue eyes once again.

"Ok, look at me" the photographer says. "Declan?"

"Yes, sorry" he says, looking at me one last time before focusing on the camera.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"Thank you very much for coming, guys" my boss says, shaking Declan and his teammates' hands. "They always look forward to this."

"It's been our pleasure" he says. "But like I told one of your doctors earlier, you are the ones that deserve the recognition."

"You are too kind, Mr. Rice" my boss says.

After that, they stay chatting for a bit, and I don't know if I should join them or not.

"He's gonna leave without your phone number."

"Uh?"

"C'mon, go talk to him" my friend says.

"In front of our boss? Are you mad?"

"You'll be fine, go. Besides, my round starts now, I'm leaving you alone."

"What? No."

"Good luck, bestie."

"What..."

"Are you leaving too?" someone says behind me while I watch my friend disappear through the corridor. Declan.

"Oh, no. My shift ended before your visit" I say, slowly turning around to face him.

"Then maybe we can go grab that coffee from last year?" he asks with a cheeky smile.

"You remember?"

"Of course I do. I would be lying if I said I haven't been looking forward to today since the season started. To seeing you again."

"I... I..." I mumble. He hadn't forgotten about me?

"You...?" he asks, arching a brow and making me get lost on those eyes of his. Again, yes.

"I would love to grab that coffee. But somewhere else, the one here at the hospital sucks."

"Ok" he chuckles. "Do you need to get changed?"

"I do, yes. Wait here, I'll be back in a minute."

"Take your time, doc, there is no rush. I waited a whole year to see you again, didn't I?" he says with a big smile, making me feel those butterflies you get on your stomach when you meet someone special.

"One minute" I say again once I've managed to compose myself and my legs have remembered how to move, running through the corridor with the stupidest smile on my face.