Mason Mount | vi

Author's note: Wrote this the other day after watching a video of Zinchenko on tumblrtalking about his proposal to his wife, and how it didn't worked out the way he had wanted it to. So that's the summary of this imagine, a proposal that didn't go as the reader (female in this case) had planned 😅 Hope you like it and thank you for reading! 💜

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"Wait, so you want to propose to Mason during an interview?

"Yes, but a fake one. The camera will be recording but there will be no signal."

"Ok..."

"Do you think he'll like it? You are his best friends, Dec. You know him better than anyone."

"He'll probably freak out, this isn't the usual, you know?" Declan chuckles. "But he loves you more than anything. He will definitely say yes."

"I hope so" I sigh. "And I also hope you win the game. Like, imagine you don't and when he comes talk to me he is gutted!"

"This national team is one of the weakest of the group, we should have an easy game. But we will do our best."

"Thank you" I smile. "Anyway, gotta go get everything ready for tomorrow. Don't say a word to him!"

"I won't. Pinky promise?"

"Pinky promise" I laugh, interlacing my finger with his.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"Thank you very much, Declan."

"Cheers."

"And we are out" my camera man says.

"Dec, can we talk for a moment before you go do the other interviews?"

"Yes, sure" he says as we move away from the others.

"How is he?"

"Devastated."

"Devastated?"

"Yeah" Declan sighs. "He blames himself for today's loss."

"But he just missed a penalty! It wasn't all his fault!"

"That's what I've told him, but you know him" he shrugs.

"Shit. Shit, shit, shit!"

"I guess you aren't proposing tonight, are you?"

"I..."

"Hi, sorry to interrupt" says Eddie, England's photographer. "But they are wondering if your plan is still in motion. Mason doesn't seem to be in the best mood, to be honest."

"Wait, Eddie knows?" Declan asks me.

"Yeah, he does. He is an amazing photographer and I wanted to have him around."

"Thank you" Eddie smiles. "But what should I tell them? Do I ask them to bring Mason or..."

"No, don't. Tonight isn't the night."

"I'm so sorry" Declan says, giving my arm an encouraging squeeze. "I'm sure you'll find another cool way to ask him."

"Yeah" I whisper.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"Hello, gorgeous."

"Hi" Mason mutters.

"Ready to go home?"

"Yeah" he replies as he gets into the car.

"I was thinking that maybe we could get some pizza for dinner? You must be famished after the game."

"I'm not hungry."

"Mason... it wasn't your fault."

"But I missed the penalty that could have meant us winning the game!"

"And Pickford made a mistake on the first goal, and the whole defense on the second one. Even if you had scored, it would had not changed anything."

"The mood would have been different."

"Or not. We will never know, so stop blaming yourself, ok?" I say, caressing his cheek.

"I'll try" he sighs.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"Mason, what... what are you doing up this late? It's 4 a.m." I yawn as I walk into the kitchen, the lights blinding me.

"I couldn't sleep because I was hungry, and came to see if we had something on the fridge."

"I told you we should have gotten that pizza."

"Yeah, I know. I ordered from a different place and it sucks."

"Wait, you bought pizza this late at night?"

"Yeah. There are places open 24 hours" he shrugs.

"Bad places."

"Really bad places" he chuckles. "But something happened."

"Uh?"

"I paid the delivery guy with your money because I couldn't find my wallet, and look what I found on your bag" Mason smiles, showing me a small box.

"Oh shit" I say, suddenly feeling wide awake.

"This looks like a ring box. Why do you have a ring box on your bag? Did someone ask you to marry them?"

"What? No! No, no, no. It isn't like that."

"Then?" he asks, arching a brow.

"That... I..."

"Yes?"

"I was going to propose tonight" I blurt out.

"You what?"

"I had it all planned. We were going to ask you for an interview after the game, but it would be a fake one. And I was going to ask you to marry me while they recorded it and Eddie took some photos."

"Eddie knew?"

"And Declan. Since he is your best friend, I wanted his opinion."

"And what did he say?"

"That you would freak out, but say yes."

"Well, he wasn't wrong."

"What?" I say, finally daring to look him in the eyes.

"I want to marry you" Mason smiled, that cute dimple on his left cheek showing.

"Are you... are you sure?"

"Never been more sure of anything in my life. Should I open this box?"

"I... I guess" I say, still not believing what is happening.

"Oh, wow. It is gorgeous!"

"Well, you are gorgeous. It had to be a ring that fit its owner."

"Would you like to do the honours?"

"Yes, of course" I say, taking the ring from the box, my hands shaking a bit. Or a lot. "There you go."

"Perfect" Mason smiles.

"I can't believe we just got engaged. At 4 a.m., in our kitchen, while I'm wearing my pajamas, and you are in your boxes and have hot sauce on the corner of your mouth."

"What?" Mason says, quickly touching his face.

"Let me do it" I laugh before cleaning his face.

"Can I kiss you now?"

"You can" I giggle, putting my arms around his neck.

"This has been the best proposal ever, you know?"

"Better than my original plan?"

"Much better. I love you, future wife" Mason says, brushing his lips against mine.

"I love you too, future husband" I say before kissing him.