23

Eden

She ran.

Her feet were tearing across the hallway, beating against the wooden tiles to the sound of her racing heart. She couldn't think. She couldn't feel. She couldn't breathe. All she knew was the goal in her head. The goal to leave, to go back to the Human Realm, to run from those dangerous, dangerous gods. The Human Realm. Her face crumpled as her heart sank. Her feet began to drag beneath her, sloppily smacking against the floor as she moved into a slow jog. Where would she go? Where could she go?

Should she return to her shitty job at that greasy little pub, serving badly burnt burger patties and sloppy milkshakes? To her lonely nights in that tiny little apartment with crusting year old cum stains on the walls? To her uncle and aunty who called her an ungrateful wrench and would beat her when dinner grew a little too cold?

The Human Realm had not been kind to Eden.

The system bit into her soul, tearing at her insides. They were invisible chains to her wrists, balls of iron wrapped over her ankles. The rich would always get richer, and the poor became increasingly poorer. Hard work was never enough for her to escape her situation of never-ending debt. For Eden, staying in the Human Realm was an impossible chase towards dreams that could never happen.

The last straw was when the world had taken her loved ones without warning. It took her mother, then her father...Later, even her baby sister. They could have been saved if Eden had money to pay for healthcare. They could have been saved if Eden had been given the chance to save them. All she had needed was time. Time to work, time to pay for the bills. Time to earn the money that they needed. But she didn't have that time, and a devastating disease had taken them all.

It was simply too late.

All that remained of her blood was the bunch of relatives who seemed determined to attach themselves to what little money she had. They sucked it out from her like parasites, spilling words such as 'loan-sharks', 'debt' and 'terminal illnesses' from cold lips. She didn't know that those words were lies until very much later, but by then it was already too late.

The Human Realm was never home for Eden, but she would go back there if that was what she had to do.

Her chest burned. The dance of heat was spiralling within her body, eating away at her chest. It seemed to beg her to stay with them, beg her to go back into their arms. It pulled, and it tugged, yearning for things that she did not understand. What did the fire want? She only knew that it grew strong in their presence and needy with distance. That it had been once just a tiny little spark in her chest that blossomed when they touched her.

Skin to skin, they did something to her. She knew that they did. Like sirens in the sea, they cast a magical spell over her, coaxing her to jump into the ocean and die in their arms. Like incubuses, they had lured her in with handsome smiles, reeling her in with promises of candy and fun. She was like a dumb little fish that had scented the bait of meat on the hook.

The smile that stretched over her face grew bitter as the tears blurred her vision. Eden would run before they could hold her, she would run before she took her last step on that damn plank that led to the sea of sharks. She would escape before they took her. Before they took everything from her, her life, her heart and her soul. She would run even if all her body wanted was to leap into their arms. Even now, her cunt ached with its emptiness, her clit fluttering with her need for their touch.

Her emotions had once been clouded with her detest and loathe for the twins. But now, she understood the call in her chest. She wanted them, her body wanted them. Something inside her chest wanted them. But they did not want her. They did not like her. They only cared about their stupid pranks. They only cared about their revenge. They wanted her to leave.