28

Eden awoke to their soft chatter and teasing, their gentle hands bringing her into their arms for their morning hugs. She would feast on homemade food that tasted as if they were made from the Heavens, creations by her Kaizel. Listen to Keegan's words as he read her stories about other worlds. Laugh to their banter and giggle to their soft tunes and careful purrs. Then she would fall asleep cocooned in their arms each night, content despite her blindness.

Eventually, Keegan taught her how to overcome her new disability. He taught her things that she once did not know, and he made sure that she knew them well. Her Keegan believed that knowledge was powerful and it could protect her when they were not there.

"Walk slowly. One foot at the time, don't hesitate." Keegan led her out, holding her carefully. "Let your hands brush against the trees. Let your ears pick up the sound. Listen to the sounds. "

And she did as she held on to him. She could hear the birds chirping in the air, the sound of the trees rustling in the wind. The bubble of a creek. The howl of a wolf in the distance. She could smell the bite of cold air, the freshness of wildflowers and the scent of grass. She smiled.

"Where are we?"

"A forest?"

"Good, now make a click."

She clucked with her tongue, and the sound bounced over the trees. They sang to her, just as they did in the rooms where they practised. The sounds bouncing and absorbing into the material. She did it again, trying to picture the obstacles in her path.

"Now, walk. I'll catch you if you fall." His voice held the hints of a gentle smile. "Walk and listen."

Eden did, walking through the forests, the leaves crunching under her feet. The distant flow of water, the wind in her hair. They all seemed to grow closer to her as she moved, indicating the distance. She frowned as she made the sound in her throat. There was a blockage before her, a huge boulder perhaps. Eden turned and Keegan made a soft sound of approval.

"Good, well done."

She beamed then, turning to walk to him only to trip over a stone on the floor. She swerved forward and in the darkness; she felt lost. Her heart pounded as she threw out her arms, afraid of the unknown. Keegan caught her then, his cold arms pulling her up, and she was pressed flush against his chest. She could feel his coldness wrapped around her, the heat of his sweet breath fanning over her cheek. She was safe in his arms, and she relaxed, accepting his hug.

"Careful, we need to work on perfecting it." He chuckled, and she felt a finger brush over her cheek, pulling the hair away from her unseeing eyes.

There was a pause as he held her, and she bit her lips, nibbling on the soft flesh. She could almost feel his gaze on her face, and it made her even more aware of the gold that seemed to flood in her body. The fire spun, flickering over her skin, sending nerves alight with oversensitivity. The heat was churning in her lower abdomen, as her body prickled with awareness.

She squirmed, suddenly feeling hyperaware of everything. She could hear his exhales, soft yet rapid with his excitement. Eden wondered then what he looked like, what face he was making. What was the colour of his eyes? What was the shape of his lips? What would they feel like on hers?

"Keegan?" Eden murmured, feeling breathless, a pleasurable ache forming between her legs.

"Hmm?" He breathed out softly, then cleared his throat. "Oh, sorry. Perhaps we should go back." He let go of her, lacing their fingers together, and somehow her heart dropped, falling into the pit of her stomach. "Let's go."

Her cheeks warmed as he gently tugged at her arm. She was confused by the dance of heat in her heart. She had been strangely disappointed that day, and she couldn't help but feel a sense of thrill and excitement when the twins wrapped their arms around her that night. Her heart pounded fast and hard in her chest as she was lulled to sleep by the thump of their comforting heartbeat.