3. KOOKS VS POGUES

Outer Banks, Martin's house
July 11th, 2020
10:41am

The dazzling sunlight that passed through the half opened grey curtains wasn't what woke me up that morning, even though it usually did. What woke me up were the hundreds of calls and text messages I received, and even before grabbing my phone and reading the name written on it, I just knew who was harassing me. I groaned and as I read all the texts more or less attentively, I also noticed, that Kie had offered me to come over at the Chateau.

I hesitated since my eyes were still puffy from all the crying I had done before falling asleep, but since moping around wasn't a solution either, I got up from bed. I tried to ignore the upcoming calls and messages as I showered. I didn't capitulate though, because I needed Rafe to understand and respect my decision, which was way less sudden that it seemed. I slid on a pair of jean shorts along with a white t-shirt and hurried down the stairway, not bothering to check if anyone was here since my parents were busy working and Nate was for sure still asleep.

I left my house and followed the address Kiara had sent me, driving through the streets of the island. My heart was shattered into thousands of pieces but I tried to ignore it and didn't let the tears blurry my vision. I arrived soon enough at the place and parked my car before jumping out of it. I closed the door behind me and as I made my way to the entrance I could already hear Kiara's voice. "Hey?" I spoke up, unsure where the voice I had just heard came from.

Since no one replied I figured they were not inside the small cabin and walked around it. The group friends was gathered in the backyard, and so I walked, smiling softly as my eyes met John B's. He had a black eye from the fight and I felt bad for him. He got up and as I joined them he pulled me in a soft unexpected hug. "Hey, you landed at the right place," he greeted, laughing softly.

I didn't know what I had done to deserve this outburst of kindness but I appreciated it highly. I chuckled and nodded. "I must admit it took me a while to find your house," I announced.

"Yeah, he lives in the middle of nowhere," Kiara joked, inviting me to sit next to her with a small pat.

"Are you okay?" I asked John B and he nodded.

"I'm a tough guy," he just said.

I greeted JJ and Pope with a head tilt and a frank smile they more or less returned. I could feel how tense the atmosphere was just by the way the boys were looking at each other. I immediately felt bad for interrupting whatever they had been talking about and bit my inner lip. "Did I interrupt something? I'm so sorry," I apologised.

"Yo, Kie seriously?" JJ reproached.

She sighed. "What now?"

The blonde boy pointed at me with his chin, softly lifting it up, as if just looking at me or saying my name was too hard. I stayed quiet not exactly sure how to react and feeling this time more like I was actually disturbing them. Kiara rolled eyes at him, obviously annoyed by his behaviour. "Look, she's my friend," she said.

"Who cares? I mean, it's not against you," he said, his hand on his heart. "But you're not welcome here. Not after a member of your community almost killed my best friend," he told me.

"All Kooks are not the same bro," Pope defended me and I appreciated it.

"Okay and? It's a Pogue thing you said it yourself. Bringing Rafe's girl will cause more problems than solve," he mocked.

I crossed my arms over my chest, locking my eyes in his for the first time since I had arrived. "Oh? But did the gun you brought last night solve more problems than caused? I doubt it. Plus, Rafe and I broke up, so please, don't call me that," I explained calmly.