24. WAVE AFTER WAVE

Outer Banks, the ChateauJuly 20th, 20202:25am

July 20th, 2020
2:25am

I was desperately trying to fall asleep, on my side of the bed, when I felt the soft feeling of JJ tapping gently my shoulder. I had been overthinking about so many things, including my friendship with Kiara, JJ's relationship with his father and his mom which he never told me about. I smiled as JJ began to drop kisses all over my shoulder and his lips soon came in contact with my ear. "Wanna go surfing?" he whispered.

"What?" I turned around to stare at him better.

"Come on Ren, let's go," his stupid smirk grew bigger on his lips and he rubbed the back of my head to convince me once he noticed I was doubting. "Unless you're tired and you want to sleep"

I shook my head and slowly sat up, not believing we were actually doing this. I had never in my entire life gone surfing and as we discreetly both escaped the Château through the dark night, I couldn't deny how exciting this was. JJ grabbed two surfboards, his own and Kie's which he handed me so that I carried it to the beach. The sky was full of stars and the moon was so bright that its reflect on the ocean allowed us to see perfectly what was surrounding us.

When our feet hit the cold sand, we stared at each other with soft smiles and dropped the boards on the ground. We took our clothes off, until we remained in underwear and JJ's eyes travelled up and down my body as if he had never seen it before. "JJ stop!" I slapped his arm and grabbed my board running towards the waves.

I didn't know anything in that Pogue practice since all I had grown up with were golf clubs and billiards, but I could tell that the waves were huge and the ocean looked very scary. When my feet hit the freezing cold salty water, I bit my lip and tried not to pay attention to its low temperature. JJ didn't last to join me and his hand found its way to my back, rubbing it up and down. "It's cold for Kooks huh?" he mocked, which didn't fail to annoy me.

"Oh God shut up!" I groaned.

I tied up the leash to my ankle and held my board as I ran in the waves and sunk into the dark water, goosebumps growing on my skin because of the coldness, but I'd never admit it to JJ. I resurfaced and turned around, smiling as his muscular figure approached me and he jumped on his surfboard, riding it. I tried to do the same but I slipped and immediately fell back in the water, making him burst out in laugh as fast.

"Not like this. Get your hands on each side and lift your body up slowly," he told me, maintaining my board so I wouldn't fall off a second time. "I said slowly!"

"Right! Don't yell at me," I laughed and slowly got on Kiara's board, successfully.

Once we were both sort of riding our boards, and I tried so hard not to fall off every single time a wave passed beneath me. "When I tell you, all you have to do is lay on your stomach, paddle with your hands, rotate towards the shore, and once you feel it, once the right moment comes, the wave catches you and you get up. If you try to get up one second too early or too late, the wave won't give you a second chance and you'll be thrown on the sand, so if this happens, protect your head okay?" he taught me, speaking loudly so I could hear him above the sound of crashing waves.