4. SCUBA GEAR

Outer Banks, Figure-Eight
July 11th, 2020
1:10pm

"Go easy with JJ, I know he can be an asshole sometimes but he's like that. Once he'll get to know you he'll be nice," John B broke in after a few minutes of silence.

John B's van was much more comfortable than it looked like on the outside and the little Hawaiian dancer on the dashboard amused and distracted me a lot honestly. With the windows fully opened, wind blew in our hair and freshened us up through this sweltering day. I shrugged and smiled at him. Part of it felt like John B and I had been friends for a long time, unsure why but I felt safe and comfortable around him.

"He's an asshole to me, that's how it works," I responded. "But yeah, I'm sure he can be nice, just not to Kooks"

John B laughed as the huge Cameron's mansion appeared in our sight. "Just try not to take it personal okay?" he said parking the van near the gate but far enough so we couldn't be seen or caught.

I nodded and made my way out of the van, or the Twinkie as they apparently named it, making sure to wait for John B so he could give me the last instructions before we fully walked into the lion's den. Not that I was scared, but it was always better to stick to plans than improvise and risk it all. That's what my mom taught me and that's what I planned on doing. I looked for the boat's keys in my bag and gave him discreetly. "Here, don't get caught or we're both screwed," I instructed him.

"Fine, don't forget, if you see anything, don't act suspicious, just make sure to keep them as far as possible for as long as you can," he told me, holding both of my hands as if we were risking our lives.

I nodded softly and we both walked in the residence after I pushed open the gate's door, that I knew was never closed during the day since they needed their gardeners and maids to get in easily without having a key. Rich people's problems. John B and I had agreed on the wisest plan to follow, thinking of all the eventualities. It was less suspicious if he was the one caught in the boat, stealing tanks, since he worked on the boat, and it was less suspicious if I was caught outside making sure no one joined him, since I highly doubted Rafe had told his family about us breaking up.

I watched John B running to the Druthers, as I made my way to the entrance of the house that was on the other side of it. As I walked, I hoped so badly not to see Ward because even though he loved me, I had never been here without Rafe and I honestly had no idea which lie I could come up with to cover John B. "Ren?" I heard a voice behind me call out.

I turned around and my heart stopped as I saw Wheezie and her older brother Rafe, holding golf clubs. I remained impassive for a few seconds that felt like eternity and faked Wheezie the biggest smile as she ran in my arms and hugged me. "Hi Wheez', it's been a while," I greeted.

She pulled away. "Yes! I'm gonna take a shower, maybe after we can watch a movie together? Unless you and Rafe have plans," she offered nicely.

My heart broke again as I heard those words and I threw a look at who was about to save me for this one time. "We do, so you'll hang out with her later," he snapped, which caused the little girl to run away, disappointed in both of us, I assumed.

I crossed my arms over my chest not to look scared or to be suspicious, but as Rafe got closer from me, my knees felt weak and I wanted to run away. He didn't look as scary as that night, on the beach, he looked calm and part of me missed it, already. I missed how we used to spend normal days, hanging out on his boat or in my room, back when nothing mattered more to him than our relationship. Back when I felt loved by who I loved most than I thought I could. "Hey, what are you doing here?" he asked me but it was gentle.

"I wanted to see Sarah," I lied.

"Why?" he asked me.

"That's none of your business," I said strictly. I had to act normal and chill but my heart was pounding so fast in my chest that I felt it in my entire body and could barely breathe. "Can I come in or is Mr Cameron keeping the house safe from the slut that I am?"