22. FOR HIS FAMILY

Outer Banks, Martin's house July 19th, 20206:17pm

July 19th, 2020
6:17pm

I crashed on my bed and sobbed, alone, thinking of what JJ had told me and how simple worlds could destroy everything. I tried so hard to think of something else and calm my breathing just the way my mom had taught me to, but it didn't seem to work out, I was crying too much and my heart was too broken. Someone knocked at my door, and I didn't even have time to ask who it was that Nate walked inside my bedroom and got on the bed with me. I opened my arms for him and we hugged for several minutes, in complete silence. Well, not complete silence since my sobs escaped my throat every five seconds, but at least I didn't have to face questions.

"I hate boys," I sobbed. "You're the only boy that I love because you will never break my heart Nate"

He hugged me tighter, his face buried in my neck. "I can go beat him up," he said,
which was cute but honestly, I highly doubted he could.

I laughed softly and rubbed his hair with my fingers gently. "He wasn't even my boyfriend, I just really really liked him. But today he was so different that I doubt he even likes me," I began to explain, realising how desperate I was because of three simple words JJ had left out, out of anger.

"You should go hang out with your friends," Nate told me. "Forget about him"

I shrugged. "Yes you're right but the thing is, he might be with my friends right now," I stated.

"So? You should ignore him and have fun with your friends, it's going to hurt him even more," Nate explained, which was far from stupid honestly. "I don't know what he did to you but he might regret it"

(...)

Outer Banks, The Cut
July 19th, 2020
9:24pm

After spending hours with my little brother and having dinner with my parents, I still decided to follow Nate's instructions and walked over to the Chateau, determined. I wanted to have fun, get my mind off things, including JJ. Maybe, after all, him saying that we didn't matter wasn't so much of a deal, but it had hurt me, and he knew it would before he even opened his mouth. I had stood up for him all afternoon and while the others kept blaming him for everything that would eventually happen to us, I defended him. Yet, he still decided to hurt my feelings, on purpose.

Maybe I was overreacting but the context had made it even more heartbreaking, since at the exact moment that I was about to defend him in front of everyone, he just blamed me for what was happening to him. Of course he had fucked up by stealing from Barry's house, but there were other ways to convince him to put the money back than throw at his face all the reproaches that popped up in our minds.

I arrived at the Chateau soon enough, and by chance, a grey Jeep pulled over, Pope and Kiara getting out of it, just as surprised by the coincidence as me. They smiled as they saw me, and as if she knew something was wrong and I needed her, Kie opened her arms and jogged over to me before pulling me in a warm comforting hug. "I'm sorry about earlier," she gently said.