14. MIDSUMMERS

Outer Banks, Martin's houseJuly 17th, 20206:29pm

July 17th, 2020
6:29pm

"Jesus, my children look so beautiful!" my mother spoke up, walking inside my room as Nate helped me putting on my earrings.

"Alright, I think it's time to go!" my dad yelled from downstairs.

My mother laid a kiss on Nate's head and told him to go downstairs to join our father, but part of me already knew we were about to have the conversation I feared. I had other things to deal with than talk about Rafe and I's fight, and I would have gladly avoided it since I didn't want to ruin my makeup with tears. "Ren, you don't have to go, if you want to stay home and watch a movie instead it's fine for both your dad and I," she softly told me, which was very unexpected and not at all what I had prepared myself for.

I laughed a little. "Thank you, but I'll go. I'm not weak and I didn't spend two hours getting ready just to watch a movie alone," I told her.

She chuckled as well and pulled me in a soft hug, making sure not to ruin my or her makeup. She was very busy organising events, concerts, that she wasn't home a lot, and I knew how badly she wished she was more present for Nate and I. Summer was the moment of the year when she worked the most, and we barely saw her, but she wasn't any less an amazing mom to us, because she made sure we were both fine and took care of each other.

Before I even knew it, we were all in the car my dad drove, singing our favorite songs, laughing, remembering fun anecdotes from past Midsummers, as I fixed my makeup thanks to my small pocket mirror. Honestly, I looked not so bad for all the crying that I had been going through all day and was pretty proud of my makeup, which was discreet but brightened my tired face. Facing Rafe had been tough but thinking of JJ at the police station was even tougher for some reason.

I knew he had done this to protect Pope for sure, but part of me wished he hadn't. I felt so guilty for everything that had been happening with the Kooks, because even though I knew it wasn't linked to my breakup with the Kook-prince, it definitely added some tension to the daily war.

We got out of the car when we reached the huge Cameron's mansion and I tried not to think of anything that could ruin the mood as we stepped in the yard. It was crowded with fancy people drinking champagne, talking about subjects no one really cared about, laughing to unfunny jokes. My eyes skimmed through the area trying to spot any familiar face and as I caught a glimpse of my best friend, I smiled wildly. I warned my parents I'd join Kiara and jogged over to her and Pope, holding the collar of my dress so that I wouldn't flash anyone.

Kiara looked so beautiful, with her light purple dress and the flower crown over her hair, that I could tell everyone's eyes were on her, including Pope's, and it wasn't surprising. She looked like a princess and I had to admit I couldn't name a prettier girl. Pope looked nice too, but unlike us, he didn't come just to enjoy the party with his family. His dad had made him come to help him with the food and the barbecue which he was on charge of every single year. "Well hello there Pogues," I greeted, smiling softly.