19. FULL KOOK!

Outer Banks, Martin's house
July 19th, 2020
12:21am

As my feet hit my house's floor, I tried to be discreet and not disturb my brother's sleep, since I highly doubted my parents were already asleep. I took my shoes off and made my way to the kitchen, where my mom was, making herself what seemed to be a small cup of tea. "Hey mom," I softly greeted, not to scare her.

"Lauren?" she turned around and her facial features softened as she saw me, which was unexpected. "Oh my baby you're back. I was so worried, I couldn't fall asleep"

I was stunned to hear her soft voice and not face more screams but it was very enjoyable. She opened her arms and so I got closer, pulling her in a gentle hug too, since we both clearly needed it after the surprising amount of reproaches and fights we had gone through earlier. I never really argued with my parents, growing up, because they were understanding and not really strict, which allowed me a lot of freedom. Somehow more than Nate did when he grew up. "I'm sorry I left," I whispered as she hugged me.

"Your dad and I were not thinking straight either, it's not just your fault. We should start communicating more," she told me, rubbing my back. "And I'm sorry about the Rafe thing, I was so worried when I saw you leaving Midsummers that I panicked and he's the one I asked your dad to call first"

I pulled away softly. "It's okay, what did he say?" I asked.

I didn't know why I was so interested in knowing Rafe's answer, because even if I hated him and wished he disappeared from the island, kidnapped by KGB or whatever so that he could suffer more than I had, imagining him not thinking about me hurt me too. We had dated for years, and as much as I hated the idea of him, I hated even more the idea of him forgetting me. Which was stupid and selfish because I, for one, had another boy busying my mind.

"He told us who these kids were, which is why we were so worried. He said they were dangerous and that he could go get you if we wanted. But then, we said it was fine and ended the call because your dad remembered that Kiara had ran away with you, and that as long as you had each other, you were fine," she told me. "Look, I don't care if they're Pogues, or even who they are to you, you know you're free to hang out or even date whoever you want, but all I want is you to be safe and happy"

I bit my lower lip, grinning at her kind words. "Thank you mom, I'm safe and happy with them. More than I ever was with Rafe," I declared, as she replaced a strand of my hair behind my ear.

"Did you meet a new boy?" she asked me, laughing gently.

"Maybe, who knows," I shrugged, leaving the kitchen smiling wildly. "Well, I'm tired, goodnight"

She went after me and grabbed my arm as I began to leave. "Come on, what's his name? You know I won't make it to fall asleep if you don't tell me more about him, how is he?" she asked, which made me laugh even more.

"Mom, there's nothing to know yet," I declared her. "But hum.. well, he's amazing"

(...)

Outer Banks, The van
July 19th, 2020
11:21pm

John B was driving towards the scary Crain's mansion, as we all tried to proceed finally seeing Kiara and Sarah together. They still weren't the best friends in the world but they had agreed on cooperating and it was honestly already a great start. Kiara was probably too proud to apologise to me so she had just more or less ignored me ever since she had came back from the marsh, which saddened me a lot. My head was resting on JJ's lap, as I was sort of laying down on my seat, looking up at him. "Are you scared?" he asked me.