20. HE'S THE BEST LIAR

Outer Banks, Martin's house
July 19th, 2020
1:47am

"Are you sure?" JJ asked me, as I carefully opened the front door. "Holy shit this is the Kookest thing I've seen"

I giggled quietly and let him in, relieved when I noticed that all the lights were turned off, which meant that my parents had already gone to sleep. "Come in, but just be quiet," I instructed, as I took my shoes off and he did so.

I didn't want my parents to meet him for too many reasons, but especially because since we weren't dating or anything, I was sure they'd be sort of confused and would think I'm a hooker. Which I wasn't. I led him upstairs as quietly as I could and once we were in my bedroom, I locked the door so we wouldn't have any visitors through the night. His eyes scanned the room as he stepped inside and he seemed so amazed by the decorations and architecture that he looked like a child and was even cuter to my eyes.

JJ and I had sort of agreed on spending the night together after Pope and Kie had both went back to their houses and Sarah and her boyfriend had decided to just stay over at the Chateau. "This is- holy shit," he only managed to say.

I laughed. "You like my room?" I inquired.

"It's a bit too Kookish for me but it's not so bad," he voiced, looking at me with sparkles filling his eyes. "Not so bad at all"

"Mhm, I bet," I giggled, walking over to the bathroom which was adjacent to my bedroom.

He kept staring at the pictures on the walls and the small objects decorating my room, not knowing that half of them had been bought my Rafe. I had taken off the walls and deleted from my phone almost all the pictures in which Rafe and I both were, but I didn't just throw up the things he gave me, because I was attached to them, which didn't mean I was attached to him. I entered the bathroom, cleaning my face and putting on my nightgown.

I made sure to look good enough for him and fixed my hair before going back to my bedroom, where I found him shirtless on my bed, reading the book that I had started reading when school ended in June and never finished because of my lack of motivation. "You like it?" I asked, his eyes looking up from the page he was skimming through and landing on me.

"Hell yeah," he smirked.

I rolled eyes and joined him on the bed, smiling wildly. "I was talking about the book, JJ," I explained while giggling.

"Oh absolutely," he faked not being surprised but it was just worse. "Yeah, me too"

He was installed comfortably on my bed, his back resting on the backrest, looking down at me as I placed my head on my pillow. He soon did the same and so we were both just staring at the ceiling, quietly. What had happened these last days but especially that night, and part of me couldn't believe it was over, we had made it, we'd get rich. I didn't need this amount of money, and honestly, no one of us really did. Yes, the Pogues had way less money than I did, but no one actually needed 4 hundred million dollars to live, this was my point. "Can you believe you're one of the richest men on the island," I told him.

"Not yet, we still need to go get it," he tempered my excitement. "But yeah, I might even get richer than the whole Cameron family"

I chuckled and rotated so that I was facing him, and he did the same, his hand softly rubbing my arm up and down, chills growing on my skin. "You? JJ Maybank, richer than the Cameron family?" I laughed.

"Yeah, looks like you've got a thing for rich guys," he mocked.

I rolled eyes. "First of all, you're not rich for now, and second of all, who even said I had a thing for you?" I shrugged.