35. BREATHLESS

Outer Banks, the ChateauAugust 3rd, 20203:15pm

August 3rd, 2020
3:15pm

"Look who's here!" Kiara's voice shouted, making Pope rotate while JJ and I walked towards the dock they were installed on.

I rolled eyes and heard JJ chuckling besides me, as we arrived at our friends eight and sat down with them. The sweltering heat of those August days was hard to handle but we had all grown up on this island, learning how to embrace and enjoy it, so it didn't really matter, sunbathing was always the best option.

"Why are you saying this like we didn't hang out together in ages," I laughed.

"Because you abandoned us," Pope faked being hurt while I pulled beers out of my bag and handed each one of them a can.

"We didn't abandon you, we had-" JJ then began, staring down at me with a smirk of his own. "We had things to do right babe?"

I must have blushed so bad, remembering the things we did when we went back home, since they all bursted out laughing obnoxiously, staring at my face. JJ's arm found its way around my shoulder and he pressed a soft and tender kiss on my temple, while I wrapped his forearm with my fingers. "You're- I hate you," I mumbled.

"I know," he smiled proudly.

Since we had learned about John B and Sarah being alive, things had slowly started to get back to normal. JJ and my parents had started to get along even more, since he had stopped «moping around» as my mother said. I had driven him home a few times to get clothes but never enough for him to face his dad or have a conversation with him, which reassured me a lot.

As long as we were together, he was safe, and I knew my parents wouldn't let anything bad happen to him, because they could see my love for him in my eyes, apparently. Nate and JJ were also the best friends in the world, they had played soccer, went surfing and played cards together so many times already that my heart was full. My boyfriend wasn't the type of be sweet with people he didn't know, but when it came to my family, he had shown himself more respectful than I thought was possible.

I took my shirt off, revealing my swimming suit, while I laid down on the woody dock, enjoying the sun rays on my tanned skin. I felt Kiara doing the exact same thing and laying down next to me, which made me smile. "JJ, can you go get us sunscreen please?" Kiara asked him, making me chuckle since I could just guess his answer already.

"I'm not at your service, got get some," he snapped.

I eyed him discreetly while he took his shirt off, revealing his muscular abs, which would have made me blush if he wasn't mine already. I was so lucky to have him for myself, loving me every day and every night, making me feel like I was worth being with. "JJ, be nice," I told him, reaching out for his hand.

"What? She can ask Pope," he kept on arguing which was stupid. "Why me? It's always me"

I chuckled and sat up. "Fine! I'll go get it since you're so childish," I stated.