13. CINEMA

Outer Banks, Figure-EightJuly 16th, 20208:36pm

July 16th, 2020
8:36pm

No one of us expected to be so depressed not to find the gold in the Merchant's wreck, but here we were, overthinking it, unsure how to proceed now that we had discovered that the wreck was empty. John B had lost his mind and abandoned us earlier that day, but not to mope around too much, Kiara had invited us to come with her at the open-air cinema the Kook community organised every summer. I had tried to decline because even though I liked to go there, I was still mad at JJ and Pope for what they had done, and my head still slightly hurt.

As we entered the area following Kie's steps, getting closer from the large screen the movie would be projected on later, with chairs in our arms, she smiled wider. "I'm glad they're still doing this. Keep calm, carry on, back to OBX life. Aren't you guys glad that I made you come?" she inquired.

"Ecstatic," Pope ironically replied.

"My couch was pretty comfy, I'll be honest," JJ mumbled.

We installed our chairs, and I ended up in the middle of Pope and JJ, but since asking Kie to switch seats would have been a little inappropriate I've put up with it. I looked around just to make sure there wasn't anyone around that could possibly ruin our night, but I was relieved when I didn't recognise any familiar masculine Kook face. My relief was brief because I soon understood that Pope shared the same doubts as me. "We're in the green zone man!" he told JJ, clenching his teeth.

"Dude tranquilo okay?" JJ tried to calm Pope's anxiety down a little, looking at him over my shoulder as if I didn't exist.

"We're in the middle of Kook-landia, this is the-" Pope began.

"Hey, just act normal and it'll be okay," I told them calmly. "Regrets are stupid"

"I thought you were ignoring us!" JJ told me, angry, I could hear it in his voice tone.

Kiara got up and warned us she'd get us some soda, which I hoped would relax both of the tensed up boys. She walked away and I tried not to pay attention to Pope and JJ, still freaking out about their presence on Figure-Eight. To be honest, I had not really ignored Pope all day long, because he had been nice and after all he had gone through a lot as well. It wasn't the same for JJ though, since all he had been doing was reproach me things, including the fact that I was ignoring him. But in reality it was better for everyone if I just ignored him, because he had upset me and I didn't want more arguments with him. "Dude it will be fine I promise," JJ tried to reassure Pope who was clearly still freaked out.

"Don't promise JJ," I rolled eyes. "You don't know if it will be fine, you just hope"

"Did I ask you?" JJ snapped.

Before I could respond, Kiara came back, her hands filled with pepsi cans, so we all thanked her as she handed one to each one of us. "Just saw Rafe," she began, and my heart skipped a beat.