26. A NIGHT TOGETHER

Outer Banks, the Château
July 21st, 2020
1:24am

"You should have listened to me," JJ complained as I sat on John B's bed, staring at him. "Maybank's always right"

I chuckled and brought my knees to my chest, as he sat near me and rubbed the back of his neck. "Not always. Not when you pretend I want to see Rafe instead of actually helping my friends," I retorted.

He placed an hand on my leg and I felt he was embarrassed, but I wasn't just going to let it flow and pretend his words didn't hurt me, back then. I couldn't let him push me away when I literally tried to show him how much I cared about the Pogues and this terrifying treasure hunt we had thrown ourselves in, willingly. "I just wanted to find a way to keep you safe with us," he finally admitted.

"Well I'm sure there would have been plenty of other ways to keep me with you, other than bringing up my toxic ex-boyfriend," I told him sternly.

A gentle chuckle escaped his mouth and his eyes turned softer. "Oh yeah? Was this an option?" he pushed me to lay flat on the mattress and began to tickle me.

My laugh filled John B's bedroom, which we had sort of claimed ownership of, and his fingers travelled under the material of my t-shirt, tickling me, driving me insane. I hated this feeling but as much as I couldn't control my laugh, he didn't take me seriously when I begged him to give me a break. "JJ, get off me," I managed to mumble in between the laughs.

He gave me a two seconds break before slamming his lips on my neck and tickling me more, making me fight him by trying to kick him. My nails travelled on his muscular back and even though I appreciated the feeling, I really did, I wanted to show him he couldn't do whatever he wanted to me. Or at least pretend he couldn't, because I wanted him so badly that my body was his. "Stop moving, come on!" he laughed more.

All of sudden, the bedroom's door was swung open and he I pushed him away from me as a reflex, while he sat up more properly, staring at the entrance. John B's eyes had gone wide and I had to admit it was pretty suspicious, how JJ was almost on top of me, shirtless, kissing my neck while all I could do was giggle under his burning touch.

"Wow- guys hum-" John B's cheeks blushed a little. "I didn't think I'd interrupt something here"

"No y-you didn't, JJ get off-" I sat more properly, feeling awful, pushing JJ off me.

"How's it going bro?" JJ just voiced, making me frown since it was a stupid way to change the subject.

John B rubbed the back of his head and shrugged. "Not as good as you apparently. I- Sarah didn't believe me about Ward," he declared, sadness dripping off his voice.

I felt bad for him since it was literally his girlfriend's dad who had taken his own father away from him forever, and I bit my lip, anxiety filling up my body again. But I couldn't just let it take control over me since once again, it wasn't about me, it was about John B and his sorrow. "I'm sorry John B. It must be hard for her but I'm sure she'll understand sooner or later," I voiced as JJ's hand caressed my back.

"Yeah let's hope so," he sighed. "I'm sorry for treating you that way earlier, I was just pissed"

I nodded, replacing my hair behind my ears, giving John B a soft smile so that he'd figure I wasn't mad about it. JJ didn't move, maybe because he didn't feel the same way as I did, but I didn't care, I got up from John B's bed and walked over to him before pulling him in a hug. I couldn't even imagine what he was going through and so I tried my best to communicate my compassion. "You should have some rest," I mumbled, my head against his chest.

"I have a few things to do first, you guys can keep my bedroom for tonight," he announced as I pulled away. "But hey, if anything happens just change the sheets before I come back"